The most popular news stories of 2018

Man in coma after Champagne bottle explodes between his legs

Champagne bottles must be opened with care, as they can contain pressure as high as 90 pounds per square inch – more than the pressure found inside a typical car tire.

This unfortunate incident took place at the beginning of the year during the New Year celebrations. A Danish man was left in a coma after the bottle exploded between his legs as he tried to open it.

He was injured on New Year’s Eve when a bottle exploded between his legs and a shattered shard of glass cut through an artery in his leg, causing him significant loss of blood, as reported by The Local.

While Champagne-related injuries are rare, they are most commonly caused by dislodging of a cork at high speed rather than shattered glass.

Famous examples include in 2015 when tennis player Novak Djokovic hit himself in the face with a cork after winning the Italian open, and in 2014 when an Italian council official caused €1,000 of damage after a cork shot through an 18th-century Italian oil painting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please note that comments are subject to our posting guidelines in accordance with the Defamation Act 2013. Posts containing swear words, discrimination, offensive language and libellous or defamatory comments will not be approved.

We encourage debate in the comments section and always welcome feedback, but if you spot something you don't think is right, we ask that you leave an accurate email address so we can get back to you if we need to.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Global Riesling Masters 2018

View Results

Global Chardonnay Masters 2018

View Results

Click to view more