Top 10 low-calorie wine brands

10th April, 2013 by Patrick Schmitt

2. 5.5% abv wine-based drinks – 50 calories (100ml)

Blossom Hill VieIn the urge to hit crucial on-shelf price points in the UK an increasing number of brand owners have launched low-alcohol range extensions because duty rates are lower for wines at or below 5.5% abv.

And with such reduced alcohol levels comes fewer calories: 100ml servings contain around 50 calories.

Such drinks can’t be called “wine”, even though they are retailed in the wine aisle, because they contain less than 8.5% abv – the minimum level for products made from fermented grapes in the EU (though exceptions exist for northerly cool climates).

As a result, the products are referred to as “reduced alcohol wine-based drinks”.

Market leader in the UK is First Cape’s Café Collection which sells around 600,000 cases of a total market for these wines of 1-1.2 million cases.

Newcomers to the category include Blossom Hill with “Vie” and Gallo with “Summer White”.

It should be added that the products tend to contain higher levels of residual sugar than standard dry wine equivalents, with Blossom Hill Vie rosé for example containing 48 g/l, which is almost double the amount in its White Zinfandel rosé which has 26 g/l and 10% abv.

5.5% abv wine-based drinks range from £2.99 to £5 and contain on average 50 calories per 100ml serve.

9 Responses to “Top 10 low-calorie wine brands”

1. richard oldcorn says:

Is there anywhere in the SW13 area you would recommend as having a good range of low alcohol wines?

Thanks and regards

Richard oldcorn

2. Skinny Booze says:

Low calorie wine is great for your health, but in my opinion is tastes better too!

3. Dani Marie says:

I am not sure how I feel about the low calorie wines. I heard the alcohol content is lower than regular wine. For me portion control is the key so I love products like Stack Wine. They are individually portioned wine glasses, which prevent me from over pouring. That way I can stick with one or two glasses instead of accidentally finishing an entire bottle. Plus there is no waste. I would recommend checking them out as an alternative http://www.drinkstack.com.

4. We do not advertise our Blanc limé with this low calorie category but actually, it is only 85 calories per 5-ounce serving. Thus lower than Skinny girl or skinny vine.. Should we renamed it Skinny limé?

5. maryanne wallace says:

I need to know the best tasting lowest calorie and suger wine my boyfriend has, me hooked on Moscato Gallo so if I could find something less calories but comparing in taste I’d be so happy so any thing you could tell me so I can watch my calories suger and pocket book please respond asap!

6. I love a red zinfandel, but I have been packing on the pounds, I am ready to watch my calories and carbs. what are the best wines, dry or in between (prefer inbetween) to cut a lot of calories. I think I read dry wines are lower in sugar? Please advise. I appreciate a response. Thanks.

7. Adam steve says:

I would never recommend low calorie alcoholic drinks to anyone because alcohol itself is a problem to the society.

8. Barbara Moyer says:

It’s not just the calories. It’s about the lower alcohol content. Lower alcohol content means enjoyment without getting the heavy 12.5-14.5% alcohol content.

Job vacancies

Inventory Analyst

Bibendum PLB

Events Executive - Atom Supplies

ATOM Supplies Limited

Off-Trade Sales Account Executive

Domaine Direct
Nationwide, working from a combination of home & London office.

Sales Executive/Brand Ambassador

Deadline : 10th July 2017

The Global Malbec Masters 2017

Deadline : 10th July 2017

The Global Syrah Masters 2017

Deadline : 18th July 2017

The Drinks Business Awards 2017

Now in its 15th year, the db awards have become the most authoritative, internationally respected badge of achievement in the alcoholic drinks industry.

The Asian Cabernet Sauvignon Masters 2017

the drinks business Hong Kong announces its first year of The Asian Cabernet Sauvignon Masters.

Rioja Masters 2016

Now in its fifth year, the competition will recognise and reward the finest Riojas on the world stage.

Fortified Masters 2016

Now in its third year, The Fortified Masters will reward the best fortified wines on offer.