Man dies after being served detergent instead of wine

A 50-year-old man has died after he was served washing detergent instead of white wine, suffering horrific burns to his windpipe, throat and stomach.

policeAndres Lorente had requested a glass of white wine at a cafe in Benircarlo in eastern Spain on Sunday, according to reports in the Spanish media. However instead of white wine he was served a colourless and odourless cleaner by mistake, reported to have been stored inside an empty wine bottle and inadvertently put in a fridge.

Lorente was rushed to hospital but later died from internal burns to his windpipe, throat and stomach, before he could be airlifted to a specialist centre for treatment.

Spanish police have arrested the café’s owner on suspicion of manslaughter and released him on bail after questioning. The bar was closed after the incident, with its owner due to appear before an investigating judge today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our newsletters

Trade Marketing Manager

Boisset La Famille des Grands Vins
London, UK

Senior Export Sales Manager (Beer)

Protege International Group Cyprus Ltd
London, UK

Accountant

Lanka Premium Beverages
Colombo, Sri Lanka

Marketing Executive

IWSC & Club Oenologique
London, UK

Sales Manager

Alliance Wine
Glasgow, UK

Sales Specialist

Spiritrade
London, UK

Sales and Business Development Manager (Spirits)

Protege International Group Cyprus Ltd
London, UK

Business Developer Europe

Vivino
Copenhagen, Denmark or Haarlem, Netherlands

Wine Sales Administration & Customer Service Assistant

Waddesdon Wine
Waddesdon, Aylesbury, UK

On Trade Sales Manager

Sekforde Drinks Ltd
London

OenoTrade Portfolio Tasting 2020

London,United Kingdom
26th Feb 2020

Wines of Portugal Annual Tasting 2020

London,United Kingdom
27th Feb 2020
Click to view more