Close Menu

Dog rushed to vets after downing Baileys

A German Shepherd had to be rushed to a vet for life-saving treatment after chewing the cap off a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream liqueur and downing the lot.

A German Shepherd

Molly, a six-year-old German Shepherd cross, was found by her owners in a crumpled heap “barely conscious” and struggling to breath, as reported by the Folkstone Herald.

Not realising what was wrong, Molly’s owners rushed her to the vets where she was put under general anaesthetic to stop any further seizures, during which she stopped breathing.

Leaving Molly at the vets, her owners returned home where they discovered the empty bottle of Baileys in their living room and quickly realised what had happened.

Vet Jane Lewis, who treated Molly for alcohol poisoning, said the hound was lucky to have survived and warned pet owners to be vigilant as the festive season approaches.

She said: “Alcohol is not just toxic to humans but pets as well and sweet tasting drinks such as Baileys can be impossible to resist.

“As the festive season approaches we hope this will act as a warning to all pet owners to ensure your Christmas spirits are kept out of reach for children and animals alike.

“The next time we see alcohol toxicity we may not see such a happy ending.”

Molly has since made a full recovery.

It looks like you're in Asia, would you like to be redirected to the Drinks Business Asia edition?

Yes, take me to the Asia edition No