You are currently viewing the International Edition. You can also switch to the Hong Kong Edition.
Saturday 20 December 2014

If that's interesting, how about these?

The top 10 rum brands

30th September, 2013 by Becky Paskin

From Puerto Rico to Cuba and the Philippines, we track the biggest brands behind one of the world’s great party spirits.

pina-coladaOne of the world’s largest spirit categories, rum is showing no signs of slowing down, with a 17% rise in global volumes predicted between 2011 and the end of 2016.

The same can be said for most of the rum brands included in our list of the world’s largest by volume (those that responded to requests for information). We’ve included both international and domestic brands in this run down, but while some massive volume increases were reported from the domestic brands, only two international rums that sell over 1m cases annually reported positive growth.

As reported in The Spirits Business in February, it would seem the rum category is breaking free of its party image and moving toward a more premium product with spiced varieties pushing the brands forward.

Recently we listed the world’s largest Scotch and vodka brands as we continue our look at the biggest drinks brands in the market.

Click through the following pages to discover which are the world’s largest rum brands.

8 Responses to “The top 10 rum brands”

1. freddy franchi says:

Dear drinks buisness
    I believe your record about the top ten rum, but what is happening to Mont Gay, Aplleton, Pampero, Diplomatico?
    May I ask you what is the volume of rum consumed in UK?
    Kind regards

2. Odane says:

What about Appleton Estate Rum

3. Gene says:

Have you not released The Kraken?

4. Kevin says:

Im VERY disappointed to see Bacardi & Cpt Morgan on this list. 2 of the MOST generic tasteless mass produced spirits. Interesting to see some rums I haven’t seen on this side of the big pond (Canada). Surely you could have done a better job and not bent your knees to the corporate giants…

5. fatrumpirate says:

They can’t really do anything when the top ten is based on sales. Have you even read the article?

• Rainy says:

I don’t think he even read the article because they aren’t saying it’s the best personally … it’s all based on sales, exactly like you said. Bacardi and Captain Morgan have major advertising in America so I’m surprised they actually weren’t higher on the list. I know nothing about good rum so naturally they’d be my top pick, since I’ve heard so much about them.

6. Lee says:

Ok hear are my favorites and if you are a rum lover, you will fall in love with any of these.

Ron Zaccapa 23year, Plantation 20year and Papas Pillar Dark 24year. All of these range from $38-$52 and are worth every penny. Now these are very nice and I “do not” recommend using them in mixed drinks at this price. If you are looking for mixed drink rums your better off spending half the cost with other brands.

I drink these on the rocks with a splash of ginger ale …

7. andrew says:

Really, really bad list.
    Misses all the best rums, drinkbusiness clearly has no clue,
    A