UK beer exports to China rise by 500%

6th March, 2017 by Lauren Eads

British beer exports increased by 6% in 2016, according to figures released by HMRC, buoyed by a 500% increase in exports to China, according to the British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA).

The BBPA is calling for a 1 pence cut in beer duties ahead of the 2017 spring budget

Exports to India also rose by 417% and exports to the EU by 5%, with overall exports to non-EU nations rising by 6%.

With a value of £584 million, an increase of £84m on 2015, a total of 1.05 billion pints of beer were exported from the UK in 2016, making British beer the UK’s third most valuable food and drink export.

Currently, 63% of Britain’s beer exports go to the European Union, with the remaining 37% exported to countries outside of the EU.

Off the back of such growth the BBPA is calling upon the UK government to make further tax cuts to beer to foster further export growth.

Last year the chancellor froze duty on beer and spirits, and lifted a freeze on wine duty, first imposed in 2015 following the WSTA’s ‘Drop the Duty’ campaign.

However in the autumn statement, the chancellor unusually made no mention of wine, beer or spirits, implying that alcohol duties will not rise until at least the next Budget statement in spring 2017, with wine expected to, at the very least, rise with inflation. Ahead of the spring statement this week, the BBPA is calling for the chancellor to make a cut of 1 pence to beer duty and cancel the planned inflationary increase in beer duty, while the WSTA and Scotch Whisky Association have both called for a 2% cut to wine and spirits duties.

“It has been a great year for British beer exports, but we can certainly do more,” said Brigid Simmonds, chief executive of the BBPA.

“Continuing tariff-free access to our biggest market is essential as we leave the European Union, and our new export strategy will underline this. In addition, our strategy will set Brexit as an opportunity for Government to move towards a more competitive tax regime, which will help brewers invest and trade in developing markets around the world.

“It is vital, that given these challenges, the Government shows its support for our brewing industry, which produces beers that are sought after the world over. This is why we are calling on the Chancellor to cut the duty rate by one penny in the Budget on 8th March.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please note that comments are subject to our posting guidelines in accordance with the Defamation Act 2013. Posts containing swear words, discrimination, offensive language and libellous or defamatory comments will not be approved.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Job vacancies

Senior Customer Marketing Manager

Conviviality Group
London or Bristol, UK

Customer Marketing Manager- 12 month FTC

Conviviality Direct
London, UK

PR Account Executive

Clementine Communications Ltd
Fulham, UK

Marketing Manager

Berkmann Wine Cellars
London, N7, UK

Brand Manager

Berkmann Wine Cellars
London, N7, UK

Sales Account Manager

Jascots Wine Merchants
London, UK

Marylebone Sales Manager

Philglas & Swiggot
Marylebone, London, UK

Area Sales Manager

Bon Coeur Fine Wines
North England, UK

Procurement Assistant – Wine

Adnams PLC
Southwold, UK

Account Manager Central London

Speciality Drinks Ltd
London, UK

Brand Ambassador

Speciality Drinks Ltd
London, UK

National Business Development Manager

Speciality Drinks Ltd
London, UK

Marketing Assistant

Hatch Mansfield
Ascot, Berkshire, UK

Marketing Manager

Bancroft Wines
London, UK

The Global Sparkling Masters 2017

Deadline : 25th August 2017

The Global Malbec Masters 2017

Deadline : 25th August 2017

The Global Sauvignon Blanc Masters 2017

Deadline : 1st September 2017

Global Chardonnay Masters 2017

Deadline : 8th September 2017

Click to view more

The Global Rosé Masters 2017

With wines from the palest of pink to almost ruby red, bone dry to almost cloyingly sweet, reductively handled to barrel-aged, as well as gently spritzy to fully sparkling.

The Global Organic Masters 2017

The drinks business is thrilled to announce the launch of The Global Organic Masters

The Drinks Business Awards 2017

Now in its 15th year, the db awards have become the most authoritative, internationally respected badge of achievement in the alcoholic drinks industry.

The Asian Cabernet Sauvignon Masters 2017

the drinks business Hong Kong announces its first year of The Asian Cabernet Sauvignon Masters.

Click to view more