Close Menu

Vodka drip saves poisoned cat

A pet cat who was doused with antifreeze by yobs has been saved from death after being given half a litre of vodka.

Pixabay: a black kitten

Missey the moggie was left fighting for her life after she was attacked by thugs who doused her in antifreeze outside her home in Middlesborough, as reported by The Metro.

She was rushed to the vets who informed her owners that vodka would help to break down the poison, recommending that Missey was fed half a litre of vodka through an IV drip over two days.

Despite ending up “blind drunk”, the bizarre treatment worked with Missey making a full recovery.

Her owner, Sara Stephenson, said she had no idea that alcohol could be used to treat animals.

She said: “She was trying to get up, but toppled over. Her eyes were out of focus and when we took her home in a carry basket, her mouth has pressed up against the wire so it looked as though she had her teeth bared. At one point she was lying down trying to swipe at a pen and she just kept missing it, she was that out of it. It was totally mad.”

Veterinarian Andrew Miller, who treated Missey at the the White Cross vets in North Yorkshire, said vodka was commonly used to treat animals that had swallowed anti-freeze.

He said: “Anti-freeze is extremely toxic to animal’s kidneys. We specifically use vodka because the ethanol in it neutralises the substance in the poison. Anti-freeze is life-threatening. Sadly, not all animals we have seen who have swallowed the substance make it, but if seen quickly and if they are given the vodka to react to the anti-freeze, they have a good chance of surviving.’’

It looks like you're in Asia, would you like to be redirected to the Drinks Business Asia edition?

Yes, take me to the Asia edition No