Top 10 female brewers

Women have been brewing beer since the dawn of time, but their presence within the industry has never been felt more strongly.

Britain BeerIn ancient Egypt beer was almost entirely brewed by women and it was a German nun who discovered that adding hops to beer would help give it a longer shelf life allowing for beer to be produced on a more industrial scale.

As related in our Wine Gods and Goddesses, the Babylonians believed that the goddess Nin-Kasi taught mankind the secret of brewing.

Today thousands of ‘brewsters’ – a medieval term for a female brewer – are working in the industry at all levels crafting new styles and breweries from scratch.

When I asked Twitter to recommend some female brewers I received an outpouring of tweets listing dozens of female brewers currently making a name for themselves in the industry.

So impassioned was the response that highlighting just 10 doesn’t seem to do justice to the legion ‘brewsters’ out there.

Recommend your favourites on Twitter @teamdb using #topbrewsters.

Scroll through to see just 10 of the many women blazing a beer-brewing trail…

19 Responses to “Top 10 female brewers”

1. Mat H says:

Don’t forget Offbeat Brewery in Crewe, established and run entirely by a “chick” according to their slogan (I don’t remember her name!)

2. It’s Michelle at Offbeat. Tara Mallinson is my favourite brewster.

3. Kathy says:

My favourite brewster is Sara Barton

4. Pam DeGroot says:

Teri Rocks! Love the Pink Boots Society! Teri Embraces, Empowers and Enriches others lives!!

5. Ellen says:

Throwback Brewery, North Hampton, NH (Annette Lee and Nicole Carrier): EXCELLENT!

6. Charles says:

Meg Gill of Golden Road is not a brewer. She is a brewery co-owner. She does not brew beer.

7. Karen Gahimer says:

Wow! That’s my little girl!!!

8. Jennifer says:

Penny Pink, founder and brewer at Portneuf Valley Brewing, provides SE Idaho with something unique and extremely special! If you’re ever in the region, stop by for some Midnight Satin-my favorite! We’re so fortunate to have the PVB in Pocatello! Congrats, Penny Pink!!

• Rebecca says:

right on for the midnight satin. Only thing close is the seasonal scout mtn stout with espresso in it!!! I was so happy to move to Pocatello from Seattle when I discovered Penny’s brewpub!!

9. Penny Pink says:

Wow. I am not sure how I made this list, but this is a very cool honor and I am truly humbled by the company on the list. PVB will celebrate her 18th anniversary this year. She has come a long way baby. I could not have boot strapped my way through building the brewery and restaurant (which is now more of a community center than a brewpub) without the help of hundreds of the most awesome friends, customers, and employees on the planet.

Wahoo to all of you. You are what makes PVB great!!!
    I’m having a blast, hope you are too.
    Cheers, PennyPink

• Rebecca says:

Too bad they don’t know about your chemistry degree and the work at the INL. You have the creds to brew beer!!! Reading about beer is making me thirsty!!

10. Linda Birkenhagen says:

Penny and PVB are the BEST. Also need to go part of what makes Pocatello so great. Five stars

11. Del Owens says:

Well loved and admired, awesome spirit and great friend, just like CHEERS , Pub only better, and makes some mean awesome food with the brew.

Every one should eat there!

12. Del Owens says:

Penny Pink the best food and brew in town, great place to meet with friends and hang out, One awesome special spirit who is well loved. Keep being you.

13. Derek Osborne says:

Great pictures of great women. Surprised though that it said top ten brewers and there were a lot of great women in brewing but not necessarily brewers. There are some real heroes of brewing included though. Great pictures in any case.

14. Dana says:

Way to go Penny. PVB is a great place to hang, dance or just meet with friends. That is where you will find me on a dance night out with my friends.

15. Melissa says:

It looks like Penny is also featured on this craft beer piece with 8 other women owned brew co’s.

16. Christina says:

Tina Schuett of Rare Bird Brewery in Traverse City, MI is brewer and co-owner. I guess that ties Meg Gill.

17. Janine Shorrock, head brewer and co/owner at Ashover Brewery since 2004. Great beer and now brewing even more of it than ever!