Exclusive: Amcor Capsules launches sustainability programme
Leading responsible closures for wine and spirits firm Amcor Capsules has announced its ‘Transparence’ sustainability programme today.
The programme will focus on environmental impact through which Amcor Capsules will establish clear data-driven objectives and actions to deliver more sustainable closures and capsules.
All progress and achievements under the programme will be verified and certified by independent and expert third parties, it said.
The sustainability programme builds on three strategic pillars: “Reduce”, “Recycle”, “Respect”.
“Reduce” sees the company commit to reducing its carbon footprint by 18% by 2025 compared to 2020 levels, with initiatives such as integrating further recycled aluminium, its Science-based Targets initiative (SBTi) commitment to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050, and reducing the use of secondary packaging.
For “Recycle”, it will build on its current 96% recycle-ready portfolio with a commitment to develop all its packaging to be recyclable or reusable by 2025. It will achieve the goal through research and development to convert the remaining 4% and ensure all product developments contain a strong eco-design framework. The firm will also work with independent third parties to certify the recyclability credentials of all categories of products.
Finally, “Respect” will ensure the firm respects the planet as part of its roadmap, for example all capsules factories send zero production waste to disposal and are located near historic wine and spirits production areas to ensure a shorter transportation chain. It will also see Amcor disclose safety and sustainability data related to its operational footprint at the request of customers, investors, ratings agencies, and the broader public.
As a continuous improvement and ‘live’ programme, Transparence will work in close collaboration with its partners and third parties as well, it said, and regularly update with progress, achievements and new objectives.
Speaking about the announcement, Yannick Magnon, General Manager of Amcor Capsules said: “Transparence is a strong commitment that directly supports Wine and Spirits brands and distributors.
“It is our commitment to continue to offer stronger sustainable solutions in the future, with corresponding environmental impacts and improvements independently verified and certified in the most transparent way. With such a public pledge, we aim to build trust and understanding, and improve standards of sustainability in our industry.”
- For more on the programme, click here.