Close Menu

Man dies after consuming a bottle of acid thinking it was alcohol

A 55-year-old man has died after consuming acid, completely mistaking it for a bottle of alcohol and downing the lot.

The tragic incident, which happened on Friday at Lankapura ADC village in the Tripura’s Khowai district in India, saw Kartik Mohan Debbarma knock back a bottle full of acid before dying on the spot.

According to local police, Debbarma, who  was under the influence of alcohol at the time, had gone to bed inebriated and yet has decided to get up in the middle of the night to drink some more booze. Sadly, however, he mistakenly selected an acid bottle from the cupboards instead of what he presumed was a bottle of spirits.

Friends close to the scene revealed that Debbarma was a habitual drinker and, on the night of the incident, was in no condition to be able to discern exactly what he was doing, or even drinking. The unhappy result being an abrupt end to the night’s revelry.

According to sources, Debbarma “got excessively drunk at a local country liquor shop. He returned home and slept. At midnight, he woke up to drink more, but mistakenly picked up the wrong bottle full of acid kept for rubber processing. Soon after, he fell unconscious. His family members took him to a local hospital but doctors declared him ‘brought dead’”.

It looks like you're in Asia, would you like to be redirected to the Drinks Business Asia edition?

Yes, take me to the Asia edition No