Man files $20m lawsuit against Casamigos Tequila

A financial analyst is reported to be suing George Clooney and Rande Gerber after claiming that an ambassador for their Casamigos Tequila served him a nitrogen-laced cocktail at the Beverley Hilton that caused him to collapse.

George Clooney and Rande Gerber’s Tequila brand Casamigos has been sold to Diageo $1 billion

As reported by The Daily Mail, Jeremy Cox was attending the hotel’s 60th-anniversary party when a bartender, allegedly a Casamigos ‘executive’, served them a smoking cocktail made with liquid nitrogen.

Cox told The Daily Mail the drink “instantaneously felt like frozen fire” and led him to collapse and pass out. Two years later, Cox says he is still in pain.

He is now suing George Clooney, Rande Gerber, Casamigos Tequila, which the pair sold to Diageo earlier this year for up to £1 billion, the Beverly Hilton, events supplier Southern Wines and Spirits and others for damages of up to $20 million.

According to the Daily Mail, the lawsuit states: “When Casamigos introduced a lethal substance [liquid nitrogen] into a Tequila drink and failed to warn the consumer who then injected the substance and immediately suffered grievous bodily harm, it acquired liability for intentional tort/failure to warn. It is George Clooney and Rande Gerber whose signatures appear on the label of each bottle.”

Liquid nitrogen, which is as cold as -320.44°F to -346°F, is commonly used in cocktails to create a visually appealing serve, drawing a mist over the glass.

However its use is controversial, with the substance holding the potential to cause severe internal cold burns, frost bite to your stomach lining, if too much is consumed. The liquid is more commonly used to freeze warts.

Casamigos has been contacted for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our newsletters