Beer honours Millwall fan who fought terrorists

16th June, 2017 by Lauren Eads

A Swedish brewery has released a beer named ‘F*** You, I’m Millwall’ in tribute to a fan of the south London football club who fought off three knife-wielding terrorists during the London Bridge terror attack earlier this month.

Roy Larner recovering in hospital.

Roy Larner was at Borough Market on 3 June when a white van ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge at 10.08pm. Three men then jumped out and went on a rampage through several bars and restaurants in Borough Market, stabbing people at random who had been enjoying an evening out.

Larner, a Millwall fan, was in the Black & Blue restaurant when the attackers stormed in. Instead of retreating, Larner confronted the terrorists, shouting “F*** you, I’m Millwall” as he took on the three men single handedly.

“I didn’t think of my safety at the time. I’d had four or five pints – nothing major,” he said. “I can handle myself. But I was out with an old person and it was out of order.”

He was stabbed eight times and was hospitalised, with his actions allowing others in the restaurant to get to safety. While recovering in hospital from multiple stab wounds, Larner’s friends made light of the situation by offering him a book called ‘Learn to Run’.

A JustGiving page set up to raise a £500 reward for Larner has already raised £50,000, with calls for him to be awarded the George Cross.

Now, Larner’s story has reached Sweden, with his heroic tale immortalised in a beer called ‘F*** You, I’m Millwall”, a 5% English bitter.

“A friend of mine who is a Millwall fan in London sent me a link to an article about Roy and I thought it was an amazing story of his bravery,” said David Mortimer, co-owner of Frequency Beer Works, speaking to Southwark News.

“When I read it I thought ‘that’s amazing, that really is something special’ so I spoke to the other guys at the brewery and we thought we could stick some money into the Just Giving campaign but that it would be more fun to tell the world about it. It just feels like it’s one of those stories you want to tell people about because it’s amazing – and it’s also a great name for a beer.”

Even Piers Morgan, a hardened Arsenal supporter, praised the efforts of Millwall fan Larner noting: “Millwall fans get a very bad rack, a lot of it very deserved, but there are times when you really want a lot of Millwall fans – and that was one of them.”

All of the profits made from ‘F*** You, I’m Millwall’ will be donated to Larner’s Just Giving page.

6 Responses to “Beer honours Millwall fan who fought terrorists”

1. Charles says:

Not normally one to praise a Millwall fan but hats off to this guy! I note the magazine he is reading – maybe so he does not push his luck another time or perhaps can catch up with those bar-stewards and sort them out!

2. Mark clark says:

Great gesture and next time I’m I’m Sweden I will drink a few pints of Roy ale!!

3. Barry says:

Where can I buy this beer

4. Bill Rolfe says:

As a Millwall fan myself, I can’t praise Roy enough

5. Mark says:

Well done Roy, I hope you like the beer

6. Ian says:

That would be terrible wouldn’t it? If he hated the ale named for him!

Job vacancies

Inventory Analyst

Bibendum PLB

Events Executive - Atom Supplies

ATOM Supplies Limited

Off-Trade Sales Account Executive

Domaine Direct
Nationwide, working from a combination of home & London office.

Sales Executive/Brand Ambassador

Deadline : 10th July 2017

The Global Malbec Masters 2017

Deadline : 10th July 2017

The Global Syrah Masters 2017

Deadline : 18th July 2017

The Drinks Business Awards 2017

Now in its 15th year, the db awards have become the most authoritative, internationally respected badge of achievement in the alcoholic drinks industry.

The Asian Cabernet Sauvignon Masters 2017

the drinks business Hong Kong announces its first year of The Asian Cabernet Sauvignon Masters.

Rioja Masters 2016

Now in its fifth year, the competition will recognise and reward the finest Riojas on the world stage.

Fortified Masters 2016

Now in its third year, The Fortified Masters will reward the best fortified wines on offer.