Top 10 women in Italian wine

GAIA GAJA – Gaja (Piedmont)

Gaia-Gaja“I don’t have a title on my business card, so it’s difficult to explain. I do everything,” says Gaia Gaja, daughter of Angelo Gaja – Italy’s cult wine superstar, or “the mad man of Barbaresco” as Jancis Robinson MW once called him.

“My father is 84, but he’s not stepping back, thank God,” says Gaia who joined the business ten years ago. “He’s very Gaia Gaja wise and understands that all the decisions we take are my decisions because they won’t affect the wines for five or six years.” With her winemaking younger sister, Roseanna, she’ll tell him what they’re going to do. “Sometimes he’s not so happy, but he always says ‘OK, do it’.”

It was the sense of family that inspired Gaia at first, the passion for the wines came later. “The thing I love is to think that what I’m doing is not only my passion,” she explains, “but it was the project of my father and the dream of my grandfather. Hopefully, in another 30 years, it will continue within the family.”

She says the aim is to continue making the best wines in Barbaresco, and try and do the same in Montalcino and Bolgheri. If and when that goal is reached, then maybe another region will be given the Gaja treatment. “But it will always be in Italy,” says Gaia emphatically.

8 Responses to “Top 10 women in Italian wine”

1. I doubt Gaia ever said Angelo was 84, cause he was born in 1940 and thus is 74, looking like 64, having the energy of a youngster…
    Time flys, but fortunately not that fast!

Kind regards

Willi Klinger

2. Jennifer says:

Nice article highlighting some of the women behind the wines of Italy.

3. Inga Wilder says:

It would have been nice to see Poderi e Cantine Oddero on the list. This wonderful Piedmontese producer is run by the sisters Mariacristina and Mariavittoria Oddero.

4. gianpaolo paglia says:

nice to see all these women mentioned, but I think that there is now a new wave of young women winemakers that would also deserved to be mentioned: Eleonora Pantaleoni, from la Stoppa, Arianna Occhipinti, Marilena Barbera, Elisa Mazzavillani, Maria Teresa Mascarello, etc.

5. susanna patalacci says:

nice reply Gianpaolo! But the correct name is Elena Pantaleoni….

6. Zainal says:

I’m surprise not to see Elena Walch amongst the women here.

7. Richard says:

What? Not one of the three Antinori daughters was mentioned?!

8. Smitha504 says:

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Outstanding work! deabbddadgcdecdb