Close Menu
News

Deadly Crans-Montana bar fire likely caused by Champagne sparklers

Police investigating a deadly fire at a bar in the Swiss ski resort of Crans-Montana believe sparklers attached to Champagne bottles and held too close to the ceiling caused the blaze.

iStock-845088180

The fire tore through Le Constellation bar shortly after 1.30am local time on Thursday, killing 40 people and injuring at least 119 others. The venue was mostly filled with young people celebrating the New Year.

Prosecutor Béatrice Pilloud told a news conference on Friday that evidence pointed to burning candles, known as “Bengal lights”, mounted on bottles of Champagne, according to The Guardian. She said they were held too close to the ceiling, triggering the fire.

Swiss prosecutors have named the bar’s managers, identified by local media as Jacques and Jessica Moretti, as suspects. They are being investigated on suspicion of manslaughter by negligence, bodily harm by negligence and arson by negligence, according to the Valais prosecutors’ office.

Mobile phone footage and witness statements showed the blaze spread rapidly, Pilloud said, describing it as a “quick and widespread” conflagration.

The press conference was held in the town of Sion, about 25km from Crans-Montana. Ms Pilloud said the investigation would examine whether the bar complied with safety regulations.

Investigators are focusing on the materials used in recent renovations to the bar and its basement, its operating licence, the availability of fire extinguishers and emergency exits, and whether the number of people inside exceeded capacity at the time of the fire.

Partner Content

Images circulating online appear to show foam soundproofing panels on the basement ceiling catching fire as sparklers were raised during the celebrations.

The victims of the fire range in age from 14 to 29 years old, with 15 aged under 18. The youngest were two 14 year-olds. Among the injured includes people of Italian, Turkish, French, Portuguese, Swiss, Belgian and Romanian descent, as well as a citizen of the UK, Israel and France.

Among the injured is 19-year-old French footballer Tahirys Dos Santos, according to a statement released by his club, FC Mertz. The club said Dos Santos was “severely burned” in the fire and has been airlifted to Germany for treatment.

Police said no further details would be released about the victims who had been identified, out of respect for their relatives.

However, Arthur Brodard’s mother announced on Facebook on Saturday night that her 16-year-old son had died in the fire. “We can start our mourning, knowing that he is in peace and in the light,” she said in a video message, adding that he “has left to party in paradise”.

Brodard-Sitre had earlier told the local newspaper Le Temps that she had been “living a nightmare” while her son was still listed as missing and information about his whereabouts remained scarce.

Related news

Burdoin fire destroys Washington wine assets

Napa strikes US$64.6 million fire protection deal

Could a pink powder sabotage California wine's organic goals?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

It looks like you're in Asia, would you like to be redirected to the Drinks Business Asia edition?

Yes, take me to the Asia edition No

The Drinks Business
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.