Close Menu

NZ winery reveals plans for ‘vineyard village’

A New Zealand winery has unveiled plans for a vineyard village in Central Otago, which if approved will result in the development of a community complex featuring residential accommodation and commercial outlets within a working vineyard.

The Wooing Tree vineyard in Cromwell, Central Otago, New Zealand

Founded in 2002, the Wooing Tree Vineyard is a family-owned and operated vineyard in Cromwell, Central Otago. Its owners, Geoff and Jane Bews and Steve and Thea Farquharson, are hoping to build the ‘Wooing Tree Estate’ within the 26-hectare vineyard, which while remaining home to its winery operations and vineyards, will also become home to various community amenities tourist attractions, retail outlets and residential accommodation.

Co-owner Geoff Bews said the plan represented a step towards “growing Cromwell in a way that will support its tourism, wine and residential interests”.

“Tourism development is key for Cromwell and this project offers the opportunity for boutique visitor accommodation and activities, as well as community amenities for locals,” he said.

“We want to support the growth of Cromwell by creating a desirable living and lifestyle space, featuring sections of various sizes and an exclusive business area, all the while retaining the feeling of a vineyard village. Our plans provide for far more attractive and suitable growth than the large lot rural residential sections currently allowed.”

If the plans are progressed further, and given approval by local authorities, it will become one of the first vineyard community concepts of its type, offering residential property lots and the chance to live on a working vineyard.

Under the plans, 10% of the proposed development will be allocated to commercial activity, while the remaining 90% will be reserved for grape vines, predominantly Pinot Noir, residential lots and open spaces.

“Our vision is to create a community asset that locals will be proud of, as well as a destination that visitors will enjoy and want to return to,” said Bews. “It’s also of paramount importance for us to ensure that the same care and attention of which we instill in our wine is applied to the development of our land.”

It looks like you're in Asia, would you like to be redirected to the Drinks Business Asia edition?

Yes, take me to the Asia edition No