Sainsbury’s and Asda merger will be ‘pivotal’ for the UK retail market

The proposed merger between Sainsbury’s and Asda would “transform the traditional landscape” of the UK’s retail market, according to new analysis.

The merger, which was confirmed on Monday 30 April, will mark a “pivotal moment for the British grocery market,” giving both stores almost one third of the entire market share, according to Kantar Worldpanel’s retail analyst Fraser McKevitt.

Sainsbury’s and Asda haad a market share of 15.9% and 15.5% in the 12 weeks to 22 April respectively, giving the proposed combined entity a potential share of 31.4%.

This would place them above Tesco, which has stayed at the top of the grocery leaderboard for more than a decade.

Just over a quarter of sales (27.6%) were made at the retailer in the past 12 weeks, but at its peak in 2007, Tesco had a 31.8% share of the market, according to Kantar’s consumer data.

 

“This is a pivotal moment for the British grocery market,” McKevitt said. “A merger between Sainsbury’s and Asda would transform the traditional landscape placing nearly a third of market share in the hands of the joint supermarket giant, though the march of the discounters – and any enforced store closures – could impact this figure.”

While there are no plans for store closures as a result of the deal, executives are aiming for savings of £500m, which will include opening Argos concessions in Asda stores.

Asda achieves nearly two-thirds of its sales outside London and the south east of England in contrast to Sainsbury’s, which registers 59% of its sales in those two areas.

McKevitt said that the merger has the potential to close in on two separate types of consumer, helping them to dominate the retail landscape.

“Sainsbury’s also appeals to more affluent shoppers (ABC1): this demographic accounted for 62% of all sales at Sainsbury’s in comparison to 46% of sales at Asda. Meanwhile, Sainsbury’s premium own-label line ‘Taste the Difference’ clocked up sales of £832 million annually – nearly two and a half times the size of Asda’s ‘Extra Special’ range.”

Tesco’s sales have grown by 2% for the 12th financial period in a row, but growth at the soon-to-combine retailers has slowed.Sainsbury’s sales edged up 0.2% over the past 12 weeks, while Asda’s rose by 1.4 per cent.

Meanwhile, Aldi has continued to experience strong sales growth – up 7.7% – increasing its market share by 0.4 percentage points to 7.3%.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please note that comments are subject to our posting guidelines in accordance with the Defamation Act 2013. Posts containing swear words, discrimination, offensive language and libellous or defamatory comments will not be approved.

We encourage debate in the comments section and always welcome feedback, but if you spot something you don't think is right, we ask that you leave an accurate email address so we can get back to you if we need to.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Supply Chain Assistant

Speciality Drinks
London NW10 7SF, UK

On-Trade Regional Sales Manager

Anthony Byrne Fine Wines
West Midlands & Northants

Supply Chain Co-ordinator

Speciality Drinks
London NW10 7SF, UK

Logistics Team Leader

Speciality Drinks
London, UK

Key Account Executive

Berkmann Wine Cellars
London, UK

Assistant Operations Manager

Speciality Drinks
London, UK

Technical Manager

North South Wines
West Drayton, UK

Key Account Manager

MMI Maldives
Maldives

TERRITORY SALES MANAGER

Eurowines Limited
Harrogate, UK

Business Manager - Impulse

Australian Vintage
Croydon, UK

Exclusive Masterclass: Chablis on Tour

London,United Kingdom
29th Apr 2019

Vinexpo Bordeaux

Bordeaux,France
13th May 2019

London Wine Fair 2019

London,United Kingdom
20th May 2019
Click to view more

The Global Grenache Masters 2019

Deadline : 26th April 2019

The Tuscan Masters 2019

Deadline : 26th April 2019

Click to view more

The Global Riesling Masters 2018

View Results

Rioja Masters 2018

View Results

Click to view more