Pernod ramps up calorie label pledge after EU report

15th March, 2017 by Lauren Eads

Pernod Ricard has said it will provide a web link to nutritional information on the labels of all of its strategic brands, following a report by the EU Commission inviting the trade to devise its own calorie labelling strategy.

Pernod already provides an on-label online link to nutritional information for 85% of its strategic brands.

All of Pernod’s international strategic spirits brands already publish nutritional information on their respective websites, as well as most of its wine, Champagne and strategic local brands, which includes Chivas, Jameson, Malibu, Absolute, Martell, Jacobs Creek, Campo Viejo and Kahlua.

However Pernod has said that it will now be working to include a website address and QR code on the label of every bottle directing consumers to a product’s nutritional information instantly.

Group-wide, 85% of these web pages are already online, with the remaining 15% set to be available before the end of 2017.

“Digital technology is an extraordinary tool that enhances our interaction with consumers”, said Alexandre Ricard, chair and CEO of Pernod Ricard.

“An increasing number of consumers want clear, useful information about the products they consume. They can now access information concerning all our strategic products any time, anywhere”.

Nutritional information will be expressed per 10g unit of alcohol, but also by the serving size most typical of each product, for example 150 ml for Campo Viejo wine, 25 ml for Cognac Martell or Chivas whisky.

Pernod believes this approach will allow for a diversity of consumption patterns to be reflected to help consumers drink more responsibly.

It follows a report published by the EU Commission this week that invited the drinks trade to present a self-regulatory proposal within one year to provide calorie and nutrition labelling on alcoholic beverages, avoiding the need to enforce a mandatory labelling system.

The decision will effectively close a loophole within a previous ruling that came into effect in 2011 which made it mandatory for all foods, including alcoholic beverages, to provide an ingredient and nutrition declaration, but which saw beverages carrying an abv of more than 1.2% exempt.

Many producers, including Diageo, Treasury and ABInBev, already provide ingredient and nutritional information on a voluntary basis.

This report will make nutrition labelling on alcohol beverages mandatory across the board, but within a self-regulatory framework for which the drinks trade will have significant input over.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please note that comments are subject to our posting guidelines in accordance with the Defamation Act 2013. Posts containing swear words, discrimination, offensive language and libellous or defamatory comments will not be approved.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Job vacancies

Sales Account Manager

Jascots Wine Merchants
London, UK

Marylebone Sales Manager

Philglas & Swiggot
Marylebone, London, UK

Area Sales Manager

Bon Coeur Fine Wines
North England, UK

Procurement Assistant – Wine

Adnams PLC
Southwold, UK

Account Manager Central London

Speciality Drinks Ltd
London, UK

Brand Ambassador

Speciality Drinks Ltd
London, UK

National Business Development Manager

Speciality Drinks Ltd
London, UK

Marketing Assistant

Hatch Mansfield
Ascot, Berkshire, UK

Marketing Manager

Bancroft Wines
London, UK

Regional Sales Manager – Scotland

Bancroft Wines
London, UK

Sales Manager – London On-Trade

Bancroft Wines
London, UK

Customer Service & Sales Support Executive

Jascots Wine Merchants
London, UK

Market Insight Analyst

Conviviality PLC
London, UK

Technical Manager

Enotria&Coe
Park Royal, London, GB

The Global Sparkling Masters 2017

Deadline : 25th August 2017

The Global Malbec Masters 2017

Deadline : 25th August 2017

Global Chardonnay Masters 2017

Deadline : 1st September 2017

The Global Sauvignon Blanc Masters 2017

Deadline : 1st September 2017

Click to view more

The Global Rosé Masters 2017

With wines from the palest of pink to almost ruby red, bone dry to almost cloyingly sweet, reductively handled to barrel-aged, as well as gently spritzy to fully sparkling.

The Global Organic Masters 2017

The drinks business is thrilled to announce the launch of The Global Organic Masters

The Drinks Business Awards 2017

Now in its 15th year, the db awards have become the most authoritative, internationally respected badge of achievement in the alcoholic drinks industry.

The Asian Cabernet Sauvignon Masters 2017

the drinks business Hong Kong announces its first year of The Asian Cabernet Sauvignon Masters.

Click to view more