Top 10 famous wine collectors

13th October, 2014 by Lauren Eads

Hardy Rodenstock

080625 Hardy Rodenstock (1)

Hardy Rodenstock, of Germany, is a prominent wine collector, connoisseur and trader with a special interest in old and rare wines. He became known for his ability to track down old and very rare wines and penchant for hosting extravagant wine tastings throughout the 80s. The most famous Rodenstock tasting was held from August 30 to September 5 in 1998 in Munich when a vertical tasting of 125 vintages of Château d’Yquem from 1784 to 1991 took place.

Rodenstock hit the headlines again in 1985 when he put a bottle of 1787 Château Lafite Bordeaux up for sale. The bottle had the initials ThJ etched onto it, believed to be those of the former President Thomas Jefferson. It sold for for $156,000 however debate over its authenticity continues to this day, so much so that it became the subject of bestselling book, The Billionaire’s Vinegar, which tells the story of this mysterious wine through experts and those closest to its sale.

14 Responses to “Top 10 famous wine collectors”

1. Richard says:

Doris Duke, the daughter of an American tobacco baron should also be remembered for her incredible time capsule of a cellar with the latest vintage being 1937. She had quite a life.

2. Chris Rebok says:

I’m missing Adi Werner, owner of Arlberg Hospiz Hotel and his unique collection of 5000 Bordeaux in big bottles. Get a impression of his amazing cellar at http://chris.rebok.de/portfolio/wine-cellar/arlberg-hospiz-alm/

3. Gilbert says:

I am about to promote this collection of wines that I have been asked by the wife of the deceased owner, Jurgon Jacobs, to sell the complete collection of vintage wines dating back to 1855. If you would like to have a preview of this collection, then please take a look at this website. You may wish to purchase this collection or you might know of someone who would like to own it.

Many Thanks
    Gilbert Sharrard

4. Anita says:

I have a 1994 vintage wine name La Maison Duroi that i want to sell.

5. Carlos Azevedo says:

I have a few bottles of wine that I would like to sell to a collector.
    They are kept in a cellar, but I am pretty sure that some are off.
    List :
    9 bottles of Chateau la Fleur Saint Georges, appellation Lalande de Pomerol, vintage 1970.
    3 bottles of Alsace Trimbach, cuvée Frédéric Émile, 1992.
    1 bottle of Chateau Corbin, Montagne – Saint-Émilion, 1966.
    1 bottle of Yalumba Angas Brut, rose, Australian sparkling wine, L5347
    Thank you.

6. Emilija says:

I have a bottle of very rare bottle of sparkling vine from Yugoslavia 1968

7. Julie Sanchez says:

This is an old string so I am not sure anyone monitors it. My husband has the entire Artist Series of Kenwood wines from 1975. Including two of the bottles that were never sold at market which include the naked lady and the skeleton lady. All the bottles are pristine. If this is something you are interested, please let me know. We are looking to sell the entire collection which is currently located in Fresno, CA.

Kindest Regards,

Julie

8. Szabo Alex says:

I have a 1912 vintage wine name Tokaji Asszueszencia that i want to sell.
    +36304204269
    szaboalex1997@gmail.com

9. Fredrick S Gelb says:

10. Fredrick S Gelb says:

Hi Folks, I found a bottle of what looks to be un-opened Champagne, but not sure what it is. I found it at my grandfathers about 35 years ago after he passed. Its produced by a company called L. N. Renault & sons established in 1870. Could anyone please direct me to way to find out more about it? Whether it has value perhaps? It has a PA liquor sticker board sticker on it. My email is rickygelb@gmail.com I can send photos. Thank you. F. Scott Gelb .

11. wendy says:

Hi i have 3 bottles of collectors wine that i would like to sell if interested pls email me for pictures at wendzm@gmail.com thank you

12. john says:

I have 6 bottles groot constantia 1971 Shiraz

Any offers

13. James lee says:

Hello my name is James lee,I have to bottle of wine and champagne that I had census 1986 Wichita never been open.they are up state new York Hutson valley wine factory how much are they worth.

14. R FESSENDEN says:

I have an unopened bottle of 1937 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti LA TACHE. The cork was damaged and one third of the wine has evaporated. I has not been cellared properly and is most likely not drinkable. I’d like to know its value.