Rare Japanese whisky auction set for HK
Bonhams Hong Kong is set to host what it claims will be an Asia’s largest auction of Japanese whisky this month featuring over 200 rare and collectible lots, including 64 Scottish single malts.
The “unprecedented” auction will include bottles from the Japanese distilleries of Karuizawa and Hanyu, which ceased production in 2001 and 2000 respectively.
More than 170 bottles of Karuizawa whisky will be on offer including the non distilled in years 1981, 1982, 1983, 1989, 1994 and 1999; the Karuizawa Geisha series; Karuizawa vertical years ranging from 1969 to 1995; the Karuizawa命之水 black and white series and the extremely rare Karuizawa-1965 21-year-old in a crystal decanter.
A collection of Hanyu Ichiro’s Playing Card Series whiskies will also be going under the hammer – with Bonhams declaring it “the most comprehensive collection of Hanyu Ichiro’s Playing Cards whisky in the auction history of Hong Kong”.
“With global appreciation and demand for rare Japanese single malts reaching an all-time high, Bonhams Hong Kong has amassed 200 lots of this new liquid gold for an unprecedented sale that will see connoisseurs vying for their favorite malts,” the auction house said in a statement.
In addition to Japanese whisky, 64 lots of rare Scottish single malts are also offered featuring the Macallan 55 year old in a Lalique decanter and the Macallan 1948 – 51 year old and Macallan 1951.
Highlights include :-
- 1 Decanter, Karuizawa-1965, 21-year-old, est. HK$85,000-HK$105,000 (£8,000)
- 2 Bottles, Karuizawa-1967 命の水 Black, 45-year-old; Karuizawa-1968 命の水 White, 45 year old, est. HK$70,000-HK$80,000 (£6,000)
- 6 Bottles, Hanyu Ichiro’s Malt Card – Six Full House, est. HK$60,000-HK$80,000 (£6,000)
- 6 Bottles, Hanyu Ichiro’s Malt Card – Royal Flush, est. HK$90,000-HK$120,000 (£9,000)
- 1 Bottle, Yamazaki 50 year, 50-year-old, est. HK$150,000-HK$190,000 (£14,500)
- 1 Decanter, The Macallan Lalique Decanter, 55-year-old, est. HK$240,000-HK$280,000 (£21,500)
- 1 Bottle, The Macallan Select Reserve 1948, 51-year-old, est. HK$115,000-HK$140,000 (£107,000)
- 1 Bottle, The Macallan 1951, est. HK$120,000-HK$150,000 (£114,000)
The Rare Single Malt Whisky Auction will take place on 15 August at 7pm at the new Bonhams Hong Kong Gallery located at Suite 2001 in One Pacific Place, Admiralty.