The Pogues launch Irish whiskey

24th July, 2015 by Lauren Eads

West Cork Distillers, one of only three independent whiskey distilleries in Ireland, has launched an Irish whiskey in partnership with The Pogues.

Pogues whiskey - white - miniFronted by singer Shane MacGowan, The Pogues are a Celtic punk band from London who formed in 1982. The band reached international prominence in the 1980s, but are perhaps best known for their classic Christmas duet, Fairytale in New York, with Kirsty MacColl.

The whiskey is a blend of grain malt Irish whiskey, which its producers claim makes it Ireland’s “highest malt-containing blended Irish whiskey”.

“We wanted to create an Irish whiskey with global appeal, which isn’t without its challenges,” says John O’Connell, co-founder of West Cork Distillers.

“The Pogues offer a perfect partnership as they share many of the same values as our company such as an independent spirit, a slightly unorthodox approach and a commitment to quality, as well as success on the international stage.”

Crafted by distillers Barry Walsh and Frank McHardy, the whiskey is aimed squarely at the younger market targeting 25 to 35 year olds.

The whiskey is said to have an aroma of malt, cracked nuts, almond and a slight sweetness. Its “smooth intensity delivers a palate that is malty and floral with a mild chocolate taste and lingering citrus”, a release said.

Halewood International has been appointed to market the whiskey in the UK. However the distillery is also working with more than 16 partners to distribute the products throughout Europe, Australia, Japan, USA and Canada with the aim of establishing The Pogues Irish Whiskey as a global brand.

The whiskey will be sold in the UK for an RRP of £30.

16 Responses to “The Pogues launch Irish whiskey”

1. Grant Holland says:

Is the Pogues whiskey available in the UK, or can we arrange to send a bottle to an Italian friend who is a whiskey fanatic (and runs a bar). Many thanks!

2. Greg Stehlik says:

Hello, My name is Greg and I live near Chicago, Il. I would like to purchase some Pogues Whisky I am hoping you can assist me with this matter.
    Thank you .

Greg Stehlik

• Colleen Taylor says:

Hi Greg, I was wondering if you found anyone that is willing to ship the Pogue Irish Whiskey to the United States? I am trying to surprise my husband for Christmas and I’m having difficulty getting a bottle or 2 shipped to me.

Thanks,
      Colleen

3. Graeme says:

fuck I only want to buy some . Please tell me when and how

4. Kees de weerdt says:

W hen comes it to Nederland the whisky of the pogues wer Can I buy it !!thanks kees

K de weerdt ireneweg 2961ac kinderdijk Nederland

5. Naomi says:

I would like to buy 2 bottles is that possible?

6. Anders andersson says:

Hi. I live in Sweden and how can I do to buy this? Can It be sent to Sweden?

7. Shaun mclardy says:

Where can I buy the pogues whisky from in Scotland ?

8. Hi folks,

A small, but important correction needs to be made to your article.

Not correct I’m afraid when you say:

“The whiskey is a blend of grain and 50% single malt Irish whiskey, making it Ireland’s highest malt-containing blended Irish whiskey.”

The iconic Black Bush Label from Bushmills Distillery here in Ireland has always been a blend of 80% Irish Malt whiskey and 20% Irish Grain whiskey.

Kind regards,

Stuart

9. Elizabeth says:

I live in the UK. When and where can I buy a bottle of the Pogues whiskey? Will be going to the states in 2 weeks and want to surprise my boyfriend, who is a huge Pogues and whiskey fan.

Many thanks,
    ELIZABETH

10. Paddy O' Regan says:

love one plz, RIP. Philip Chevron.

11. Allan says:

Hi
    I’m looking for a couple of bottles, where can i get them?

12. Conny Norberg says:

Hi, i’m living in Sweden and wants to order a bottle for christmas. It’s that possible? Thanks! 🙂

13. Love Irish Whiskey, and love The Pogues. How can I get a bottle in Culver City California? plus I’m Irish!!!

14. Luke Goudie says:

Brought some today (11/03/16) in luton airport duty free and its amazing! Im not a drinker and i like this whiskey! Tastes amazing on its own and with coca cola! Best one ive had

15. Dennis O'Brien says:

Just got a bottle at SHANNON airport duty free. Haven’t tried it yet…can’t wait. Are they going to make t-shirts for it?

Job vacancies

New Generation Wines

Experienced Sales Account Manager – On Trade

Cantina Goccia
London and the south, UK

National Sales Manager – Premium Drinks

Core Recruitment
London based with national travel

Wine Trainee

Deadline : 24th February 2017

db Awards 2017

Deadline : 28th April 2017

The Global Organic Masters 2017

Deadline : 3rd March 2017

The Global Sparkling Masters

the drinks business is thrilled to announce the launch of The Global Sparkling Masters

The Global Rosé Masters 2016

the drinks business is proud to announce the launch of the Global Rosé Masters 2016.

The Prosecco Masters 2016

Now in its third year, the competition will reflect the growth in popularity of this fresh and exciting sparkling wine from the picturesque regions of Veneto and Friuli.

The Global Pinot Noir Masters 2016

After the success of last year’s competition that judged over 250 wines from no less than 16 countries, the drinks business is proud to announce the third year of the Global Pinot Noir Masters