You are currently viewing the International Edition. You can also switch to the Hong Kong Edition.
Saturday 20 December 2014

Man served toxic beer hospitalised

1st September, 2014 by Lauren Eads

A man was left with serious internal injuries after he was served beer believed to contain caustic soda.

beer lagerDavid Caminal, from Spain, was immediately taken ill after drinking a beer served to him at the New Conservatory in Leeds city centre on July 19, as reported by the Yorkshire Evening Post.

It is understood that cleaning of the bar’s systems was taking place when a strong cleaning fluid, believed to be caustic soda, was inadvertently served to Mr Caminal in a beer.

Caustic soda is a highly corrosive substance typically used to unblock drains, dissolve grease and oils and strip paint from walls.

After drinking the beer the 47-year-old spent several days in intensive care and three weeks in hospital, before being flown back to his home city of Barcelona where he remains in hospital.

The TV producer had been in Leeds to shoot a new commercial at the time of the incident.

The extent of his injuries is not yet clear, however lawyers acting on behalf of Caminal said further treatment was likely to include surgery to his oesophagus.

Leeds City Council and West Yorkshire Police have since launched a joint investigation and Caminal’s family is now taking legal advice.

A Leeds City Council spokesman told the Yorkshire Evening Post: “On the day of the incident officers from Leeds City Council’s Health and Safety team attended the scene with West Yorkshire Police, and a joint investigation is now in progress.

“Once the investigation is concluded we will determine if any further action against the business is necessary.

“Therefore it would be inappropriate to make further comment on the investigation at this time.”

The New Conservatory declined to comment due to the ongoing legal case.

One Response to “Man served toxic beer hospitalised”

  1. This terrible accident can be avoided in future if bars, pubs and restaurants change over to an eco friendly, non toxic and safe line cleaner, Britelines™. Britelines™ products will be available very shortly through Eco Green & Clean Ltd. Please email for details or call on 07715 005734.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

If that's interesting, how about these?