You are currently viewing the International Edition. You can also switch to the Hong Kong Edition.
Saturday 22 November 2014

Pub staff risk blindness, warn doctors

21st July, 2014 by Lauren Eads

The injuries of two staff who suffered “horrific” burns to their face and eyes while cleaning out a beer line have been used by doctors in Australia to strengthen their case for tougher safety measures in pubs.

London pubIn two separate incidents, two young workers were left with “devastating injuries” after performing the routine task of using chemicals and high pressure to clean out the build up in beer lines in pubs, as reported by the Herald Sun. 

Despite one 23-year-old patient washing his eyes immediately with water, he developed an ulcer on his cornea and eventually lost his vision.

The second case involved a young woman who also suffered damage to her vision after enduring four years of treatment.

Both incidents, in which neither worker was wearing protective eye goggles, have been held up by ophthalmologists in Australia as a warning to others and to highlight the need for mandatory safety guidelines for those working behind bars.

Sydney Eye Hospital’s Dr Chameen Samarawickrama said: “Our patients were young, typical of the workers at these venues and their injuries have had major impacts on their lives”.

“We suggest mandatory guidelines are indicated, as although such injuries are uncommon, they are severe and debilitating in the working-age group, with significant costs to the individual, health system and society.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

If that's interesting, how about these?