A beer a day helps keep kidney stones away

A new study published in the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology has found that certain beverages can increase a person’s chance of developing kidney stones.

beer salesThe study found that daily doses of sugar-sweetened drinks can increase the chance of developing kidney stones, while other beverages can help to reduce the risk of developing the condition.

The study looked at data on over 190,000 adults, mostly middle-aged, who had never had kidney stones. Over an eight-year timespan 4,462 developed the stones and those who drank the most sugar-sweetened beverages were the most likely to find themselves with kidney stones.

The Washington Post reported that those who drank one or more sugar-sweetened colas a day had a 23% higher risk than those who drank them once a week; risk for sugar-sweetened clear, non-cola sodas was 33% higher for those who drank one a day, against one a week.

In terms of lowering the risk of kidney stones beer came out on top, when consumed once a day compared to once a week. The risk fell by 41% for a daily beer, but wine also proved beneficial with a 33% reduction in risk with a daily versus weekly glass of white wine and 31% for red wine.

Other drinks also saw the kidney stone risk fall, the study found that the risk fell 26% for caffeinated coffee, 16% for decaffeinated coffee, 12% for orange juice and 11% for tea.

The researchers behind the study did add that all the information came from the responses on questionnaires given by those taking part in the study and as such the serving sizes would have differed for different drinks.

8 Responses to “A beer a day helps keep kidney stones away”

1. Gibson Kalenga says:

I am a man aged 53 living in Zambia, Central Africa.I was diagnosed with kidney stones, and they are two in number, one in the kidney and the other one in the ureter. Doctors have told me no medicine can dissolve the stones, apart from surgery. Please help because i have tried different medications but all have not solved the problem. I will be grateful.
    Thanks
    Gibson

2. Kori says:

Eat pineapple every morning before breakfast

3. saviour says:

Hi,

I’m not a doctor but drink beer aggressively for the next three years. I believe that should dissolve your stones.

Regards

4. Jennifer says:

I also have the same problem as you. So I decided to find out from some of my friends what could I possible take to flush it out.
    Try fresh lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil ( Organic). Make this mixture by using about 2 table spoons of each in about 4 glasses of water
    and drink every 1 hour. I will be trying the same

5. Sumit says:

Go to doctor make a surgery.
    Easiest way.

Start drinking too much water 3 ltrs in a day.

6. Bobbie says:

Try CHANCA PIEDRA (that might not be perfect spelling). It is available at health food stores and health food section in grocery stores. CHANCA PIEDRA means STONE POUNDER. it’s a natural remedy that dissolves kidney stones. Also the beer a day does work. I had one kidney that my doc said “is chock full of kidney stones” and he recommended one beer a day. A couple of months later I had another X-ray done and it looked like pacman had taken a bit out of each stone! The beer was working! Then I learned about the CHANCA PIEDRA and because I don’t like beer I tried the PIEDRA. I also used apple cider vinigar and drink plenty of water. No more problems with kidney stones! 🙂

7. Make a mixture of 75 percent lemon juice and 25 percent water. Do not add sugar. And use real lemons. Drink this mixture several times a day for your entire life.

8. Susan says:

Blend fresh lemon juice and fresh parsley with a bottle glass of water. You can add cucumber two. All three help dissolve stones and purify hou kidneys and liver