You are currently viewing the International Edition. You can also switch to the Hong Kong Edition.
Friday 24 October 2014

If that's interesting, how about these?

The world’s rudest wine names

26th October, 2012 by Andy Young

Royal Bitch

Royal Bitch wines

Royal Bitch wines again come from Chile and are distributed by JV Wines in the US. The Royal Bitch range includes Chardonnay, Merlot and Shiraz.

Have you seen a rude wine name or label? Send a picture to us and we’ll publish the best ones.

12 Responses to “The world’s rudest wine names”

1. Mamadou Djayan GUEYE says:

Thank you for this compilation.
    However, I seriously doubt Château d’Arse is rude, at least to a french ear.
    There is a Château d’Arces near Grenoble (not a wine, a real castle), and also a Château d’Ars near Lyon, to mention just a few.
    ARS, ARSE, ARCE, ARCES : different spellings, but same pronunciation in French.
    Pronunciation close to the rude english word you are hinting, but actually far from it: the origin is Latin ARX, ARCIS which means fortress.

• spanky McTexas says:

who cares about what the “french ear” thinks is rude? is this published in france? no? then why does your pretentious ass have to bring it up? trying to ruin the article? no one asked for an explanation, this was just for a laugh, thanks for screwing it up for everyone Frenchie McEscargot

• Chris says:

Maybe, Spanky, but considering that The Drinks Business was eviscerated yesterday for an equally rude illustration, I think the joke winds up on them.

2. Glad to see we did NOT make the list http://www.txtcellars.com … GR8!!!

3. Derek Cronk says:

I loved the, short lived, “Stu Pedaso” from the “Sonoma Beach” appellation. Horrible wine, but I bought it for the name. I still wish I would have gotten one of the wanted posters.

4. Frisky Midget says:

Our brand name and wine labels are a tad on the controversial side… we’re called “Frisky Midget”. Our labels feature a series of babushka (matryoshka) dolls. As you turn the bottle, the smallest doll is revealed, and she’s wearing some pretty saucy lingerie. She’s short in stature, and frisky in nature. Hence the name Frisky Midget.

Here are a few pics: http://lovelypackage.com/frisky-midget/

5. Well, none of those labels seems or sounds rude to me… Puritanism is still a plague, if I may believe this… However, there was also a story about a certain wine with the flamboyant name If You See Kaye? What about that one? If you pronounce it properly (slang), you might get the F or ‘beep’ word forbidden in the States on TV and more… I don’t think personally that it is a ‘rude’ word, kids of 6 use it all the time at school, but it was meant ‘rude’ by some critics… (By the way it seems to sell very well, even in the States)

6. Thank you for focusing on Fat bastard wines ! But we would like to let you know that Fat bastard is exclusively French ! All the wines are Vins de Pays d’Oc (South of France) and the founder is the Gabriel Meffre winery (France – Gigondas – http://www.gabrielmeffre.fr). Created in 1994 with a (French !) Chardonnay and Syrah, the range is now composed of 8 wines (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon…). If you want to know more about Fat bastard, look at http://fatbastardwines.com

7. Louise says:

I Love clever wine labels – as much as pretty ones
    I’ve found that RedHead Studios have consistently clever labels, my fave, the “Night of the Living Red”, complete with dripping red wax and a little envelope of 1920′s medical drawings!! Great for halloween! Check out a few others on the link above http://www.mashdesign.com.au/projects_html/redheads_studio.html

8. In 2004 my wife Sandra and I lived in Greyton in the western cape,we had a small holding with a half acre of shiraz,that year we made a 100% shiraz with some help from friends in the wine industry.The name that sprung to mind had it’s inception from the view of the kloof from our stoop ,the name Clevage lepet befor my eye’s and the name was born,of our lusious full bodied red wine.

9. pinotnigel says:

Possibly the greatest was the cheap “champagne” called Rene Pogel which was sold in Australia for many years and was a market leader. It took a long time before anybody noticed what it said backwards…

10. PCMyrs says:

Sorry, failed! There is not one genuinely original rude name here! How about Terre Arse (Sicily) and one called Condom! They exist. get off your butts and do some real research!