Morrisons kicks off Christmas drinks discounting with £13 Champagne
UK supermarket Morrisons is kicking off pre-Christmas drinks discounts particularly aggressively with some huge price cuts on Champagne, including bottles selling for just £13.
As you can see reflected on the supermarket’s online store here, Morrisons is selling its Veuve Devanlay Brut NV Champagne for as little as £13 following a drop of £7 on its usual shelf price of £20, while the rosé equivalent under the same label is selling for £14, down from £22.
This drop takes the Morrisons entry-level Champagne label down to almost the same price level as the discounters, Aldi and Lidl, who both sell Champagne at £12.99, carrying the Veuve Monsigny and Comte de Senneval Brut Champagnes respectively – although £12.99 represents their cost at full price.
Looking further at the discounts on offer at Morrisons right now, among the well-known brands of Champagne, known as les grandes marques in the region, it is Mumm that offers the lowest entry-point, with its Cordon Rouge Brut NV currently selling through the retailer for £22, down from £34, with the Lanson and Tattinger Brut NVs costing only a little more, discounted down to £23 and £24 respectively (see the list below).
Something of a steal, however, appears to be Veuve Clicquot Vintage, which is now selling at £32, a drop of £18 on its headline price of £50 – the biggest discount on the site. And, enticingly, the offer appears to be on the brilliant 2008 vintage.
It’s not just Champagne that’s on offer at Morrisons, with English sparkling Denbies Wine Estate Chalk Valley fizz down from £16 to just £10, although the retailer has only taken a £1 off the Hush Heath Estate Balfour 1503 Rosé, taking it to £18 a bottle from £19.
Morrisons is not the only UK supermarket to be discounting Champagne at the moment, with Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury’s all offering savings of 25% on fizz if you buy six bottles or more.
On top of this, Asda is selling Taittinger Brut NV for £28 (down from £35), Lanson Black Label for £23 (down from £33) and Monopole Heidsieck & Co Champagne Impératrice Brut for £27 (down from £40).
Sainsbury’s meanwhile is selling its Etienne Dumont Brut NV for £16, while Piper-Heidsieck Brut NV is being sold for £25 (down from £35), Laurent-Perrier La Cuvée Brut NV is down to £30 form £40, and Veuve Clicquot Vintage 2012 is down to £40 from £54.
As previously stated by db, with the pandemic this year hitting sales of Champagne particularly hard, it is fully expected that discounting on the luxury fizz in the run up to Christmas will be widespread, and the price cuts large, as producers try to empty their cellars.
However, such offers are not just due to excess stock, with discounting on Champagne employed by supermarkets to attract shoppers, especially at this time of year.
Some of the biggest offers seen online on Friday 27 November have been reproduced below, starting with Asda.
- Lanson Black Label Brut NV: £23, down from £33
- Monopole Heidsieck & Co Champagne Impératrice Brut: £27, from £40
- Taittinger Brut Reserve NV: £28, down from £35
- Etienne Dumont Brut NV: £16
- Piper-Heidsieck Cuvée Brut NV: £25 down from £35
- Laurent-Perrier La Cuvée Brut NV: £30 down from £40
- Veuve Clicquot Vintage 2012: £40 down from £54
- Veuve Devanlay Champagne Brut: £13 down from £20
- Veuve Devanlay Champagne Brut Rosé: £14 down from £22
- Morrisons The Best Champagne Rosé: £14 down from £21
- Mumm Cordon Rouge: £22 down from £34
- Lanson Black Label Brut NV: £23 down from £35
- Taittinger Brut Reserve NV: £24 down from £36
- Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label: £26 from from £40
- Lanson Rosé Label Brut NV: £26 down from £39
- Bollinger Special Cuvée Brut NV: £30 down from £46
- Moet & Chandon Vintage Champagne Gift Box: £30 down from £45
- Veuve Clicquot Vintage: £32 down from £50 (a drop of £18, the deepest discount)
- Bollinger Rosé Brut NV: £33 down from £50
English sparkling offers at Morrisons:
- Denbies Wine Estate Chalk Valley Sparkling Wine: £10 down from £16
- Hush Heath Estate Balfour 1503 Rosé: £18 down from £19