The 10 best breweries in the world 2020, according to Ratebeer’s users

The beer world’s answer to Tripadvisor, Ratebeer, has just released its top 100 brewery ranking for 2020.

The ranking is based on 10 different weighted scales, which look at factors such as user reviews of the past year and top performing beers, but also includes historical all-around performance, a brewer’s strength across a range of styles, and a few other factors to compare newer and older, larger and smaller brewers under a single method of processing.

While the vast majority of brewers are based in the US this year, Ratebeer’s top 10 has featured producers from around the world in the past, such as Mikkeller in Denmark and Sweden’s Omnipollo.

Joe Tucker, founder of RateBeer: “Our winners are big and small, urban and rural, highly specialised or brewing a myriad of styles. RateBeer Best judges them on equal footing, with many of our reviewers traveling extensively, so it’s not uncommon to see a brewery that some people see as their local gem recognised as a global best. In fact, most of our top 100 winners are smaller breweries.”

Keep scrolling to see which brewers are this year’s fan favourites.

10. Firestone Walker Brewing (California) — jumped up from 16th

A glass of Firestone Walker beer at The Great Eldorado BBQ, Brews & Blues Festival 2019 (photo: Wiki)

Owned by Belgian brewer Duvel-Moortgat, Firestone Walker is California’s fourth-largest craft brewery and is known for producing hoppy ales with a transatlantic twist. The brewery was founded in 1996 by the heroically-named Adam Firestone, who sold it on to sold to Duvel Moortgat in 2015.

18 Responses to “The 10 best breweries in the world 2020, according to Ratebeer’s users”

1. BillH says:

Three in Kakifornia and none in Wisconsin, hmmm

2. Bob W says:

Wow! What an unbelievable waste of my time. The very idea that more than one of the best breweries in the world would be in America…I dont even know what to say except you need to get out more…and stop publishing this inane nonsense.

3. Alberto says:

You should update the article title with “THE 10 BEST BREWERIES IN THE USA 2020”

4. Reggie says:

Wisconsin? Haha, what? No one thinks highly of beers from Wisconsin any longer.

• Max says:

I was about to say… Wisconsin breweries are one of the biggest reasons the world thought so poorly of American beer until craft brewing took off.

5. Glen says:

What a joke.
    They all must be in cities with no competition to have none from Colorado, Oregon or Europe.

6. Robert Kochman says:

Ratebeer is owned by Anheuser Busch. I wouldn’t believe them if they said the sun will rise in the morning

7. Barrett says:

Ha, what a joke. Not even best in USA let alone the world. Seems more like a paid advertisement.

8. George says:

Of course this is ridiculous. RateBeer is nothing but Facebook for beer. Personally I won’t bother with it, and I know people that give me recommendations they got from ratebeer are wasting my time. More than likely it will be an astringent IPA…

9. Mike says:

Why do I read this garbage, from rate beer even tasted any Belgium or German beers?
    I guess only IPA’s count as good beer anymore. I like them too but there is a whole other world of different beers and don’t people get sick of IPA?
    I like steak but I don’t eat it every day…

10. Ben says:

Does anyone use Ratebeer outside of USA? From this list I’m guessing not. What does Untappd say? Or what about highest rated adjusting for local population?

Or are we supposed to believe that California really has a monopoly on the best breweries, over literally anywhere in Canada, UK, Belgium, Berlin, Netherlands etc?

11. Common sense says:

Best breweries in USA****

12. mitchell medlin says:

Shame, this didn’t really address global beers…
    I can think of the ranch brewing in Korea- founded by a French Brewer/semmelier.. and Lanikai brewing in Hawaii, founded by a bacterial biologist

13. Peter says:

Along with the best Basketball, NFL, Baseball and NASCAR & Indy Car teams I. The ‘World’

14. Jaison says:

If this list is according to RateBeer users, it would help if we knew the demographics of RateBeer users. Based on this list, we can guess that the majority are Americans, and the majority of those Americans are from California.
    Other questions come into play. For example, is there an even number of hoppy drinkers with malty beer drinkers? I mean, as a stouts/porters drinker, I don’t ask a “hopp head” what their favorite brewery is, since I don’t care for IPAs and such.

15. Mr Bruce Edgerton says:

I thought it was the world not the u s a??

16. Ray Duncan says:

Are you effing kidding? The world??? Yet not 1 beer outside the US! This list is highly suspect even considering American brewers. Grab a Trappist and enjoy the best!

17. Mike says:

You are all so lucky to have had Wisconsin breweries around. Your fathers, your grand fathers, and even great-grand fathers probably all enjoy beer from Wisconsin. Those beers helped make craft brewing what it is today.