Now in its 15th year, the db awards have become the most authoritative, internationally respected badge of achievement in the alcoholic drinks industry.
Unveiled each year at the London Wine Fair, this is a chance for outstanding companies and individuals to win high profile recognition in front of some of the industry’s most influential representatives.
Highlights From last Year
Man of the Year
- Are you the Man of the Year? Has your contribution to our industry over the last year set you apart from the rest? Judges will be looking for unparalleled leadership, business acumen, and/or major deal broking success. This award may also recognise outstanding contribution to the industry as a whole.
- Do you make Oprah Winfrey look like an underachiever and a bit of a slouch? If so, you could be db Woman of the Year. Judges will expect proven innovation and leadership within your field. This award may also recognise outstanding contribution to the industry as a whole.
- Are you on a meteoric rise to the top of your game? You must be under 35 and have delivered beyond what is humanly possible this year. If so, then you could be the db Young Achiever of the Year.
- This award goes to the Retail Buyer who has done the most in the last 12 months to push the boundaries in wine (or spirits) retailing, promoted quality throughout the range and innovated within the category or area of buying for which they are responsible.
Whether leading a team or in charge of a specific area, from the multiple or the independent sector, this buyer will be respected for their negotiation skills, integrity and ability to spot quality and value.
- For the UK retail buying team that has put their wine and spirit range on the map by striving for quality in their offer while meeting consumer needs across the range. The judges will be looking for innovation within the range and the team’s commitment to green issues when it comes to sourcing and supply.
Best Drinks Company of the Year (Wine, Spirits & Beer)
- This is the big one, coveted by one and all. Under scrutiny: your business development and diversification, sales/profit growth, employee management, new product development, market penetration, brand development and corporate responsibility… line up brand owners, agents and producers, it could be you!
Best Supply Chain Initiative
- This award seeks to recognise a single initiative between a drinks company and its supplier(s) in the last year, which has delivered tangible benefits for both parties.
- For those who think logistics is all about long-distance lorry drivers, bacon sarnies and bonded warehouses who won’t take your stock because it hasn’t got the correct AAD, think again! Judges will be looking for excellence in service for customers (trade or consumer). This may include direct mail, internet or traditional on-trade and off-trade premises; recognising reliability, flexibility, competitiveness and the ability to meet customers’ needs effectively.
- Going to the public relations company whose work across the board or on a specific project pushed their clients product or image to the fore. This winning company will not only demonstrate its commitment to gaining coverage but will display new and challenging ways in which it has caught the attention of the trade or the consumer press.
- The winner of this award will have no equal and will define excellence in drinks retailing over the last year. You will have achieved significant sales growth in the UK or overseas and will have an impressive display of value and range for your customers.
- This award recognises the best of those brave few who have gone it alone! Judges will be looking for tangible evidence of impeccable personal service and in-store innovation.
- This award recognises retailers who specialise in selling wines priced at £20+, both in-store and online.
- Judges will take into account the recommendation and opinion of customers and look for evidence in high standards of service, including 24 hour delivery, flexibility and adaptability to the strains of the modern day restaurant and hotel business. They will also award on-trade suppliers on the quality of their range and pricing, plus attention to environmental issues in a high carbon impact business model.
- Do you know how to make the most of the world wide web? We’re looking for an online drinks operator who has a brilliant range, appealing site design, novel selling techniques and a loyal customer base. Judges will be looking for proof of profitable performance over the last 12 months and evidence of a growing database of repeat users.
- As a growing source of luxury drinks sales, it is important the travel retail channel has the right vibe to attract the shopper, be they business men on the move or newly weds on honeymoon. This award will go to an outlet with impeccable merchandising, and an impressive range, as well as sales support that is second to none. The judges will require evidence of sales performance over the last 12 months and any new investments in store fittings and staff. Information to show the impact of novel selling techniques and exclusive product launches will boost the chances of gaining this accolade.
Best Trade Campaign (Wine, Spirits & Beer)
- In-house or agency, you will have wowed the client with your creativity, innovation and execution and all within budget. Your advertising has dazzled, your PR has hit the spot, your events have inspired and your online marketing demonstrated resourcefulness and originality.
- Social Media is an essential part of virtually every successful marketing campaign and its importance shows no sign of diminishing. As a result, the drinks business has introduced a new category purely for marketing campaigns based on social media. Your entry can be based on a campaign that was solely built around social media activity, or you can highlight how social media formed a crucial part of a larger marketing campaign that used a range of promotional techniques.To succeed in this category please use figures to clearly illustrate the achievements of this campaign. Ideally, the entry should include a summary of the aims, the timeline, the costs, and, most importantly, the results, all expressed succinctly in an initial awards pitch.
- Trade and consumer events are an essential part of the drinks sector and, as a result, the drinks business has introduced a new category purely for events. This new category is designed to encompass a range of events, from annual tastings by companies or generics, to exhibitions, masterclasses or seminars. To succeed in this category please clearly illustrate what made your event successful. This should include an explanation of the initial concept, how it was planned and promoted, what it set out to achieve, before clearly stating the results. To help us ascertain the level of success, please include visitor numbers, attendee feedback and revenues generated. Ideally, the entry should include a summary of the aims, the timeline, the costs, and, most importantly, the results, all expressed succinctly in an initial awards pitch.
- Have you created the most eyecatching campaign of the year? Or have you had consumers fighting in the aisles for your campaign’s brands and inspired unprecedented customer brand loyalty with a super strategy and tangible results? Then you are a candidate for Best Consumer Campaign.
- Will your product design be remembered as an icon of the 21st century? The judges will be looking for innovation in artwork and packaging. You will have met and surpassed the brief and will have done it all within budget.
- This award recognises both launches and re-launches. Judges expect distinction in PR, advertising, consumer research, revived design and packaging, as well as improved supply chain management and increased store listings.
- As global interest in wine and spirits continues to grow there is a demand from consumers to combine their interest in wines and spirits with their holidays. This award recognises an outstanding achievement in creating a unique and compelling experience for customers wishing to encounter their favourite wines and spirits on their home terroir .
How to enter
- Complete our entry form
- Register the categories you wish to enter by completing our online entry form. Register before 28th February 2017 and receive a £30 discount per entry.
- Upload your entries
- Once you have paid our entry fees, you will be sent a link to enter your pitch. You can write up to 500 words for each category on why you should win and upload support material. The deadline for submissions is 28th April 2017.
- Awards ceremony
- Winners will be announced on 23rd May 2017 at the London Wine Fair in Olympia. Entry to the ceremony is free of charge for all entrants (subject to capacity).
- Publication of results
- Results will be published in the May issue of The Drinks Business and will be announced on our website shortly after the ceremony.
To find out more about the Drinks Business Awards 2017, or to discuss sponsorship opportunities please contact:
+44 (0)20 7803 2427
+44 (0)20 7803 2430
+44 (0)20 7803 2437