Top 10 wild whisky bottles

Diageo’s smart bottle

Smart bottles

Not currently available to purchase, Diageo gave a hint as to the possible future of spirits design unveiling its Johnnie Walker Blue Label smart bottle prototype earlier this year. Using patent-pending OpenSense Technology, extremely thin, electronic sensors can tell if the bottle has been opened and where it is in the supply chain. Not only do these sensors allow Diageo to send information to customers who scan the bottle with their smartphones, but update that information appropriately. For example, Diageo could send promotional offers to a consumer’s smartphone while the bottle is in the shop, but change that information to cocktail recipes once the sensors recognise that the bottle is at home and has been opened.

8 Responses to “Top 10 wild whisky bottles”

1. James says:

That samurai Nikka bottle can be bought at Japan duty free for around $40AUD still today I picked it up last year

2. Dylan says:

…and for those of us who don’t travel to Japan every day it’s £150 at auction, which is still cheaper than a flight to Tokyo.

3. S. Ward says:

The current Samurai whiskey bottle has a plastic helmet though. That probably explains the lower price.

4. Brian Lidbetter says:

I have an unopened JApanese Nikka samurai bottle of whiskey all metal including metal helmet. I have had it for 20 years and it is still in its original box. Could you please advise me of the value? Thanking you Brian Lidbetter

5. Brian Poulsen says:

I have a couple bottles in original packaging, with metal helmet etc. I’ve seen them for around $500.

I’d be willing to entertain offers.

6. Vincent says:

I have an unopened bottle and box in perfect condition purchased early 1980’s. Any comments on quality and drink ability of the whiskey. Thanks

We encourage debate in the comments section and always welcome feedback, but if you spot something you don't think is right, we ask that you leave an accurate email address so we can get back to you if we need to.