The world’s top beer-consuming countries

2. Czech Republic

A Czech football fan enjoys a beer

According to the WHO the Czech Republic’s 10.5m population each consume 8.51 litres per year, making it the world’s second largest per capita consumer of beer.

9 Responses to “The world’s top beer-consuming countries”

1. Interesting piece but my usual gripe – where’s the report? (The same gripe applies to the piece on older age groups and alcohol-health issues).
    For example, tourism in both Palau and Seychelles must increase the population substantially – was this effect considered or adjusted? Otherwise it would seem that data are being manipulated to achieve the desired result.
    Can I ask DB a simple question: does none of you have a critical or sceptical mind? If you believe, as I do, that there are major issues in relation to alcohol consumption then having a report which could be discredited due to poor methodology serves no useful purpose. I would have expected your editorial board to have raised these questions and sought clarification before publishing the article, or at least publishing with a caveat. Instead, you’ve gone for the tabloid-style headline!
    Somehow, I get the feeling I am wasting my sweetness on the desert air, but someone has to!

2. Tom Lethaby says:

This is just wrong surely? Per capita consumption figures of well over 100 litres per head are common place in main parts of the world.

3. Peter Gebler says:

In the form published here, the figures are either wrong or misleading. Germany has a declining beer consumption, but it is still above 100 litres per year. My assumption when looking at these figures is that they refer to absolute alcohol consumption. Thus, if Germans drink 6,22 litres of alcohol via beer, at say an average of 4,5% alc/vol,, then they would be drinking 138,2 litres of beer p.a., which sounds about right.

4. This is NOT “beer consumption”, you idiots, it’s “litres of pure alcohol consumed while drinking beer”. Do you seriously think the Irish drink 14 pints of beer a year, each?

5. Nick Roberts says:

This data in this article is wrong. The US consumption rate for beer is much higher than that. New Hampshire ranks as the # 1 beer consumption state in the US, with 43.0 gallons. That is over 100 liters a year, per person. Our lowest ranking states average in the mid 20gallons per capita.

6. javier salazar says:

This cannot possibly be correct. In Chile wine consumption is 15 liters per capita, placing us in the lower bottom of wine producing countries. Here beer stats triple that of wine, so I can’t understand how your world beer rates rank in the below 10-liter categories. Where, and how did you gett your numbers?

According to your rank, I am the largest beer consumer in the world.

7. Andy Young says:

I appreciate everyone’s comments, the information is taken from the World Health Organisation’s research and here is a link to their findings – http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publications/global_alcohol_report/en/index.html

8. Andy, I followed your link and the report is dated and launched 2011. Firstly bit odd to bring it up now. secondly there are individual country reports. I went to the Irish page, as that ‘s where I live. The info is mostly up to 2005! Situation here has changed dramatically since then, so this report is hopelessly out of date. Then Ireland consumed 14.4lt of pure alcohol. Think, off top of head, In 2010 that was down to 11.3lt. 2011 was up to 11.9lt. Aside from recession and mass emigration (principally by the beer drinking demographic of 20 somethings) drink driving laws have also changed. All in all a pretty pointless report and sensationalism of poor info. Oh and by the way spreading something over many many pages, when it could be told on one page, just to get more eyeballs (ie pageviews) is tiresome and I usually just exit the site. I only looked at a couple in this instance.

9. samirra says:

i think that beer is awful!!!