Retro alcopop Hooch makes a comeback

5th July, 2012 by Becky Paskin

The original sharp lemon alcopop Hooch is making a return to the UK as an RTD designed to be served over ice.

UK distributor Global Brands has signed a licensing agreement with Hooch owner Molson Coors to relaunch the drink last seen on UK shelves in 2003.

Having noticed a trend for retro brands re-emerging with great success, Global Brands has redeveloped the drink with real lemon juice and a lower abv of 4% to appeal to the modern consumer.

“It appeals to a bunch of people who remember it, have warm nostalgic feelings toward it and want to try it again, but then there’s another audience who have never heard of it,” said Simon Green, marketing director of Global Brands. “So we’ve had to rework and….

Continue reading

Get unlimited access to The Drinks Business, from just £10.75 per month

Join The Drinks Business
Already a subscriber?

7 Responses to “Retro alcopop Hooch makes a comeback”

1. Jan says:

I think the relauch party should be held in a local park, with everyone daring each other to drink the hooch whilst spinning around, end it with some being sick and others getting off with each other.

That’s how most peoplewill remember Hooch from back in the day.

2. Benson says:

“The original sharp lemon alcopop Hooch…”

Oh no it wasn’t. The original alcoholic lemonade was Two Dogs, introduced in 1993. A far superior product, Two Dogs was Australian (a country who know a thing or two about drinking) and was made from lemons. Hooch was a chemical muck bandwagon jumper from a major brand trying to get into the market.

Personally, I rated Two Dogs, both as a drink on it’s own and as a good mixer for gin (like a turbo gin & bitter lemon). The absolute alco-pop nadir was the pink grapefruit gut rot.

3. Guy says:

I’ve been hoping hooch would make a come back for ages, just a shame they’ve watered it down so much

4. Smith says:

Where can I buy hooch & I fought they did a strawberry & kiwi flavour

5. Bonilee says:

Where can I buy hooch in the United States?

6. faizel says:

Where can i buy hooch in cape town

7. Lori Ball says:

I have been looking for hoppers hooch for years. I loved this stuff. Is it coming back and will it be sold in the states?