Argentina reports on ‘intense’ 2015 harvest

Argentine winemakers are confident in the quality of the country’s 2015 vintage having battled heavy rainfall and frost that contributed to a “challenging” harvest.

foto0761

Vineyards in Mendoza

Publishing its 2014/15 harvest report today, Wines of Argentina said that by 30 April 2015, the harvest of grapes in Argentina had surpassed 23 million tons, which represented a 10.12% drop on the previous year, and an 8% drop with respect to the average harvest in the last 14 years.

Mendoza ranked first, producing 71.8% of the country’s grapes, followed by San Juan with 21.69% and La Rioja with 3.68%. Together, the three regions represent the harvest in the Cuyo region, which amounts to over 97% of Argentina’s total harvest. Salta meanwhile accounts for 1.33% of the country’s grape harvest.

Overall, around 13,333 ha (32,945 acres) of vineyards in the country was subjected to adverse weather conditions, 40% of which was affected by hail and the remaining 60% by frost. However the south and east of Mendoza bore the brunt of the bad weather, affected by both hail and frost, which damaged almost 6% of its vineyards – a figure above previous years of between 3% and 4%.

Andrea Marchiori, winemaker at the Viña Cobos Winery in Mendoza, said heavy rainfall during the harvest season and relatively high humidity had resulted in challenging conditions, but that the quality of its wines had remained consistent.

“Mendoza was witness to a complex harvest season, a challenging one for all producers given the climate conditions and the industry’s general context”, she said. “However, we believe painstaking work in the vineyard combined with sensible decisions taken at the right time in the harvest season guaranteed the desired consistent quality in our wines.”

andreamarchiori_0

Andrea Marchiori, winemaker at the Viña Cobos Winery

Leonardo Erazo of Bodega Altos Las Hormigas in Mendoza, described it as a “difficult and intense harvest”, which called for harvesting all crops in a shorter span of time.

“We deliberately took some risks, but always bearing in mind our intention to highlight the fresh and mineral side to our wines, a side that adds another dimension to the complexity of Argentine Malbec. After all, we mean to reach the next level in Argentine wine.”

Malbec now holds a 20.42% share of plantings in the country, the biggest of any Argentine grape variety, while Torrontés Riojano is currently the country’s most widely planted white variety, accounting for 4.3% of plantings. Overall, red varieties lead representing 50% of total production, with white and rosé wines accounting for 27.5% and 22% respectively.

Commenting on the harvest, the report said: “The 2014-2015 season progressed more smoothly for some regions than for others. Losses from adverse climatic factors remained within the historical mean. The more serious weather complications occurred in Mendoza, where the heavy rainfall during the harvest season translated into a series of difficulties at the time of harvesting and made it necessary to bring the harvest date forward in some cases, in addition to conducting the required field practices so as to preserve the wines’ desired quality and style.”

A two-day joint tasting hosted by Wines of Chile and Wines of Argentina will take place in London on 9/10 September. Mercado Andino: A Journey Across the Andes, will feature more than 130 wineries, from boutique producers to established big brands, bringing with them more than 1,000 wines to taste.

For more information and to register you attendance click here.

Click through for an in depth report on the country’s 2015 vintage by its winemakers following what was a challenging but successful harvest….

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our newsletters

Brand and Marketing Manager

New Generation Wines
London, UK

On-Trade Regional Sales Manager

Anthony Byrne Fine Wines
West Midlands & Northants

Logistics Team Leader

Speciality Drinks
London, UK

London Account Manager

Speciality Drinks
London, UK

Key Account Executive

Berkmann Wine Cellars
London, UK

Assistant Operations Manager

Speciality Drinks
London, UK

National Account Manager

Berkmann Wine Cellars
London, UK

Sales - Global Wine Competitions

The Drinks Business
London, UK

London Business Development Manager

Vine Distribution Services
Chelmsford, UK

Customer Services Administrator

Speciality Drinks
London, UK

The International Food and Drink Event 2019

London,United Kingdom
17th Mar 2019

Prowein 2019

Düsseldorf,Germany
17th Mar 2019

Vinitaly 2019

Verona,Italy
7th Apr 2019
Click to view more

The Prosecco Masters 2019

Deadline : 22nd March 2019

The Global Sparkling Masters 2019

Deadline : 25th March 2019

Click to view more

The Global Riesling Masters 2018

View Results

Rioja Masters 2018

View Results

Click to view more