You are currently viewing the International Edition. You can also switch to the Hong Kong Edition.
Thursday 28 August 2014

Heston Blumenthal’s Dinner shut after norovirus outbreak

4th February, 2014 by Lucy Shaw

Celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal has been forced to shut his two Michelin-starred Knightsbride restaurant, Dinner, for a week after a norovirus outbreak.

As reported by The Mail on Sunday, some 24 diners and 21 members of staff were struck down with the vomiting bug last week.

Five years ago, Blumenthal was famously forced to shut his three Michelin-starred flagship, The Fat Duck in Bray for 10 days after the norovirus was brought into the restaurant by shellfish contaminated by human sewage.

“I am very sorry for the inconvenience to those customers affected by cancellations.

“However, I will reopen the restaurant safe in the knowledge that we have done everything we can do to continue to strive to create the perfect environment and food for my guests to enjoy,” Blumenthal said.

“I will always err on the side of extreme caution,” he added.

James Armitage, Westminster City Council’s food safety manager said closing the restaurant was the “responsible” thing to do. “We have already asked the restaurant to improve some of its hygiene procedures,” he said.

The restaurant, housed in the Mandarin Oriental hotel in London’s affluent Knightsbridge district, won its first Michelin star in 2012 and second last year.

The norovirus can be spread from contaminated surfaces and equipment or if an infected person does not wash their hands properly before handling food.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

If that's interesting, how about these?