The names of ten young sommeliers selected to join the 2014 Ateliers Ruinart sommelier training and mentoring programme have been announced.
The Ruinart Fellows, a group of renowned names within the industry, met to review the applications and select the ten most promising entries to join this year’s programme.
New recruits in this year’s intake include representatives from the likes of Galvin, D&D, and the Gordon Ramsay group.
The programme, fronted by Ruinart Cellarmaster Frédéric Panaïotis and Master Sommelier Gerard Basset, offers young sommeliers invaluable education and mentoring from some of the industry’s leading lights, equipping them with the skills to develop and grow in their sommelier careers.
Each year, ten up-and-coming sommeliers are selected to join the new intake of “Artisans”.
These Artisans will undergo a comprehensive, year-round programme of education, networking, and mentoring offered by the Ruinart Fellows who include Master Sommeliers such as Gerard Basset, Xavier Rousset, Ronan Sayburn and Matthieu Longuère.
The first Ateliers Ruinart Artisans’ event – the Artisans training day – will be taking place on 3rd March and will involve a day of relevant and stimulating educational activities.
Artisans will this year participate in a blending exercise with Floris perfumers to develop skills and highlight the parallels within both industries.
The day will also include various workshops developed to help improve sales technique and a networking event where Artisans and Fellows will have the chance meet over a glass of Ruinart Champagne.
Gerard Basset MS, MW said: “Training within the industry is vital and who better to mentor the stars of the future than those recognised as the stars of today. We are delighted to welcome the new recruits onto the programme which we hope will help and encourage them to reach their full potential and aid the reputation of the industry.”
Sommeliers selected to join the Ateliers Ruinart programme 2014 are:
• Nausicaa Rotoloni – Sommelier, Galvin La Chappelle
• Adam Pawlowski – Head Sommelier, Northcote
• Cam O’Keefe – Assistant Sommelier, The River Café
• Emmanuel Cadieu – Sommelier, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay
• Laurence Jordan – Sommelier, The Balmoral Hotel
• Benjamin Cots – Sommelier, Launceston Place
• Piotr Pietras – Sommelier, Maze by Gordon Ramsay
• Alastair England – Assistant Head Sommelier, Zuma
• Viraj Sawant – Assistant Head Sommelier, La Trompette
• Aurelie Stagnetto – Sommelier, Maze by Gordon Ramsay