Accolade’s Chardonnay results good news for Australia

31st January, 2014 by Rupert Millar

Accolade Wines’ “All About Chardonnay” survey results show the trade believes Aussie Chardonnay has improved stylistically, that it represents the best value above £8 and that it has room for growth.

ChardonnayAccolade surveyed leading wine journalists and writers for the questionnaire the topics spanning the stylistic changes of Australian Chardonnay, the price point where they represented the best value, whether there was still room for growth for Aussie Chardonnay and whether its appeal was increasing.

One hundred percent of respondents said that the style had changed in recent years and 66.67% said that the style of Australian Chardonnay in the UK had got a lot better, while the remaining 33.33% thought it had only improved a little.

As to where Australian Chardonnay represented the best value, no one thought that the £5-£7.99 category was best, 25% thought £8-£9.99, 50% thought the £10-£14.99 bracket and 25% even thought as high as £15+.

Over 90% said that the best Australian Chardonnays were a match for Burgundian and other European regions.

When compared to other regions of the world, between £5-£10, 88% of those surveyed thought Australian Chardonnay was better value than Californian examples, 66% said it was better than Burgundy, and 50% thought it superior to Argentine Chardonnay.

Fewer respondents saw Australian Chardonnay outperforming Chile (22%), South Africa (27%), New Zealand (27%) and the South of France (27%) at that price bracket.

Nonetheless, of all those countries and regions, Australia still came out top when asked which country overall had the greatest potential for growth sales in its Chardonnay.

A further 83% said that they thought Australian Chardonnay had the potential for growth in the UK – 8% said no – and 79% said they believed Chardonnay’s appeal for UK consumers was increasing compared to five years ago.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our newsletters

Job vacancies

Sales Executive - Wine and Spirits Awards

The Drinks Business
Central London, UK

On-Trade Channel Manager

Delegat Europe Limited (UK)
London / Midlands, GB

Trade Marketing Analyst

Delegat Europe (UK)
London, GB

Key Account Executive

Delegat Europe Limited (UK)
London / Midlands, GB

Senior National Account Manager

Bibendum PLB
London, UK

ON-TRADE Sales Executive

Roberson Wine
London, UK

OFF-TRADE Sales Executive

Roberson Wine
London, UK

Judging Week Runners

Decanter World Wine Awards
ExCel Centre, London E16, UK

Sales Administrator

Les Caves de Pyrène
Guildford, UK

Retail Commercial Executive

Laithwaite's Wine
Theale, Berkshire

Wine Buyer

Conviviality Plc
Crewe, UK

Sales Account Manager - On-Trade

Berkmann Wine Cellars
Liverpool

Sales Account Manager - On-Trade

Berkmann Wine Cellars
M3/M4 corridor

Media Sales Manager - Hong Kong

The Drinks Business Hong Kong
Hong Kong

Regional Account Manager

New Generation McKinley
London, UK

The Global Merlot Masters 2017

Deadline : 31st March 2017

The Prosecco Masters 2017

Deadline : 10th March 2017

db Awards 2017

Deadline : 28th April 2017

The Global Organic Masters 2017

Deadline : 3rd March 2017

Click to view more

The Global Sparkling Masters

the drinks business is thrilled to announce the launch of The Global Sparkling Masters

The Global Rosé Masters 2016

the drinks business is proud to announce the launch of the Global Rosé Masters 2016.

The Prosecco Masters 2016

Now in its third year, the competition will reflect the growth in popularity of this fresh and exciting sparkling wine from the picturesque regions of Veneto and Friuli.

The Global Pinot Noir Masters 2016

After the success of last year’s competition that judged over 250 wines from no less than 16 countries, the drinks business is proud to announce the third year of the Global Pinot Noir Masters

Click to view more