You are currently viewing the International Edition. You can also switch to the Hong Kong Edition.
Sunday 20 April 2014

Bubbling under the surface: Californian sparklers

18th July, 2013 by db_staff - This article is over multiple pages: 1 2

While a select few producers have attained recognition in their homeland, writes Anne Krebiehl, top Californian sparklers deserve a wider global audience 

bubbles

OF ALL Californian wines, none defy preconceived notions more than traditional method sparkling wines. Their acidic backbone embodies the brisk freshness of coastal morning fog while brilliant afternoon sunshine is expressed in their pristine fruit.

A small elite of traditional method sparkling wines enjoys big recognition at home – being served at the White House seems to be the badge of honour that all the producers mentioned here share – but whenever there is talk of Californian wine, fizz hardly gets a mention. Certainly, production is small and exports are (still) marginal, but the quality of the wines deserves a wider audience. While the focus is on the domestic market where cellar-door sales represent a sizeable chunk of turnover, the more generous 2012 vintage means producers have started looking beyond national borders. With both quality and price points similar to Champagne, how are they faring over here?

By common consensus, there are four outstanding producers operating today. The oldest of those is Schramsberg Vineyards in Calistoga, Napa Valley. At this historic property, with mountain cellars dug in the 19th century, the Davies family made their first traditional method sparkling wines in 1965. The vineyards surrounding the property no longer provide the grapes for sparkling wines; they are sourced in cooler areas: Carneros, Anderson Valley, the Sonoma Coast and Marin County. Of the 12-13 cuvées made each year, some small production lots are not commercialised: the immensely poised 2007 Brut Napa Valley, for instance, is only wheeled out for special occasions. It is prestige bottlings like these that make the name Schramsberg so memorable. Only 3% of the annual production of 65,000 nine-litre cases are exported, while a quarter is sold directly at cellar door, underlining Napa Valley’s popularity as a tourist destination. Schramsberg’s Blanc de Blancs 2007 (current release) or the prestige cuvée J. Schram 2005 are more widely distributed. Hugh Davies, CEO of Schramsberg Vineyards, says: “It has been exciting to see demand grow steadily over the years.” Since its big break in 1972 when Schramsberg was served to President Nixon, “distribution is now established in 50 states and 30 export markets”. While Davies is sanguine about the future and predicts that “global demand for fine sparkling wine will certainly continue to rise”, there are currently no expansion plans.

chateauWELL CONNECTED
Domaine Carneros, just 30 miles south, was, unlike Schramsberg, purpose built by the Taittinger and Kopf families (of Kobrand fame), for sparkling wine in 1989. Eighty- nine hectares (53ha Pinot Noir, 36ha Chardonnay) are cultivated organically, certified since 2007, providing fruit for 97% of the estate’s production. The remaining 3%, explains Eileen Crane, CEO and founding winemaker, are necessary to stay on top of clonal and viticultural development All the wines, bar rosés, are vintage-dated and exclusively from the Carneros AVA, a fact of which Crane is proud. “Great wines are always wines from a place, never from all over,” she says. Crane compares the climate to warm vintage years in Champagne, without the annual variation: “We’ve been able to produce Le Rêve, which is our prestige cuvée, every year since 1992.” Le Rêve is just 2% of the annual production of 55,000 nine-litre cases and again, the export portion is tiny: just 2% of the total. But there is good reason: “We’ve had four very tiny crop years so we’ve been short on inventory and stock,” explains Crane, adding: “I’d like to see export being 5-7% over the next few years and I think that’s possible. It’s important to be seen in the international market.” In the marketing of Domaine Carneros, the association with Taittinger (which is stated on US labels) has clearly helped. “It gets us in the door, the taste sells the wine,” says Crane. Fiona Mottershaw, brand manager at UK distributor Hatch Mansfield confirms: “We emphasise the Taittinger link. The wines are very much hand-sell products, when you get the opportunity to present them directly, either to consumers or trade, reactions are unerringly enthusiastically positive.” A price-point similar to NV Champagne, however, remains a challenge.sparkling-wine-table

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

If that's interesting, how about these?