You are currently viewing the International Edition. You can also switch to the Hong Kong Edition.
Saturday 2 August 2014

If that's interesting, how about these?

Italy’s 10 leading fine white wines

7th February, 2013 by Rupert Millar

9. Cantina Terlano, Nova Domus Terlaner

Nova Domus

photo credit: Udo Bernhart

Region: Trentino-Alto Adige

Classification: Alto Adige Terlano DOC

Average price per bottle: £25

Another contentious border region but another beneficial one for white wines. Alto Adige, or Südtirol if you prefer, displays more of a Germanic influence thanks to neighbouring Austria (indeed German is often the first language) and the region is home to some of Italy’s foremost Pinots and Rieslings.

This wine however is a Pinot Bianco/Chardonnay mix and is one of Cantina Terlano’s site specific bottlings, which it also does for a Sauvignon Blanc, Gewürztraminer and Lagrein (a red grape).

Nova Domus is selected form a 42 hectare plot located 250m to 500m above sea level.

The first vintage was produced in 1990 and around 18,400 bottles are produced annually.

The grapes undergo alcoholic and partial malolactic fermentation in oak, before half is aged in large wooden barrels and the other half in tonneaux. The wines are then blended three months before bottling.

The wine should age quite happily for at least 8-10 years, with Galloni calling it a “big, rich, expansive wine” and gave the 2008 93 points.

8 Responses to “Italy’s 10 leading fine white wines”

1. Raffaele Santoro says:

bla bla bla.

2. Vino in Love says:

That list seems a little bit odd to me. Don’t forget about Verdicchio (some of the highest rated Italian white wines are produced with Verdicchio) , Cortese (Cortese is the grape for the world-famous Gavi) and Falanghina.
    Timorasso and Buriano are not really that common..

3. James says:

Won’t get that 3 minutes back. What a terrible and uninformative piece.

4. Mila Dorosh says:

Gaja’s Cabernet is “Darmagi!” – Giovanni Gaja’s comment on planting the vineyards with cab.

5. Riccardo Margheri says:

Of course, I do not pretend to know everything, but tasting hundreds of different Italian vine varietes during my work for the wine guides I collaborate with, I have never tasted a “Buriano”. If here it says that it is one of the main Italian whites, I should know about that… Nor I find any info on such topic on my books about autoctone varieties, nor on the web… If it really exist, and it is not a mistake of the article (many of its choices could be discussed anyway, as it always happens, as the SB and not the Ribolla for Gravner, or the Nova Domus and not the PG selection Vorberg for Terlano), may I get further infos please?
    Kind regards
    Riccardo Margheri

• Rupert Millar says:

Riccardo,
      The list is an attempt to highlight at least some of Italy’s leading fine white wines. It may perhaps have made more sense to just pick out producers that are particularly focused on white wines – but the point is to show the most expensive, which would generally imply some sort of appreciation in price and interested following of some description. Where a particular producer makes other wines (such as Terlano and Gravner’s other wines as you picked out), I have tried to make reference to them.

Buriano is not a major variety, many Italian varieties are in no way ‘major’, the list of Italian grapes in the intro was just to show that of all the merchants I talked to, the suggestions they gave to join this list (which were extensive) encompassed every conceivable variety, big and small, that Italy has.

I agree that the list is not perfect and open to discussion. Indeed, I hope it does provoke discussion as Italy produces some excellent white wines and I think they need greater exposure and appreciation. As you can see from the list many are incredibly well priced with regards to their quality.

Rupert

6. Riccardo Margheri says:

Looks like Buriano was an ancient name used around XVI-XVII century to indicate some Tuscanian white variety. I am not able to find my Francesco Redi’s “Bacco in Toscana” copy in this moment, where the term is mentioned. But trust me, it is not used nowadays…

• Roberto Bellini says:

Buriano grape is used in Montecarlo area, close to Lucca. Fattoria Michi produce a 100% Buriano.
      Cheers