“Wine enema” hospitalises student28th September, 2012 by Rupert Millar
A student at the University of Tennessee was hospitalised last weekend due to alcohol poisoning possibly from a “wine enema”.
The student was rushed to hospital and was found to have a dangerously high alcohol level in his blood, according to the Knoxville News Sentinel.
He was also said to be showing signs of possible physical and/or sexual assault, injuries which are consistent with a wine enema being administered.
The extremely dangerous drinking method, also known as “butt chugging”, involves inserting a tube or hose into a person’s rectum and pouring alcohol through it.
Because the alcohol passes straight into the intestines, it is absorbed much faster by the body increasing the effects.
Dr Dan Quan from Maricopa Medical Center spoke to KPHO News, saying that the procedure could create a “quicker high — they think it’s going to last longer; it’s more intense. But if the person does pass out or lose consciousness, health care professionals won’t necessarily know that they have to look in those areas, and that may delay treatment.”
Back at the boy’s fraternity, several more males were found passed out surrounded by wine boxes. The fraternity has been put on a 30-day administrative suspension pending an investigation.
The phenomenon is not new, as a Columbia Health Forum addressed the problem back in 2006 and a Texas woman was arrested on suspicion of having killed her husband with a Sherry enema in 2004.
Other dangerous drinking methods that students have been caught experimenting with include a tampon soaked in vodka or other spirit inserted anally and pouring shots into their eyes.
Earlier this year six students in California were hospitalised with alcohol poisoning from drinking hand sanitiser.