You are currently viewing the International Edition. You can also switch to the Hong Kong Edition.
Thursday 24 July 2014

If that's interesting, how about these?

Top 10 hangover cures

24th July, 2012 by db_staff

The Christmas party season is now in full swing, so to help you deal with the morning after, the drinks business has put together the top 10 cures for alcohol induced pains.

The Hangover movie

With December underway the countdown to Christmas has begun and more evenings are being dedicated to Christmas parties and social gatherings. Unfortunately these gatherings can mean more hangovers, so we’ve dusted down our top 10 hangover cures to help you through the festive period.

A hangover is caused by a combination of the toxic by-product of alcohol metabolism (acetaldehyde), dehydration, and Vitamin A, B (particularly B6) and C depletion caused by the chemical action of alcohol on your system. The symptoms are usually a dry mouth, nausea, fatigue, dizziness and headache.

Treatment involves rehydrating the body so it can deal with the painful symptoms – though the best advice seems to be rehydrate before going to sleep.

Over-the-counter painkillers can help with headaches and muscle cramps. Sugary foods may help you feel less trembly. In some cases, an antiacid may be needed to settle your stomach first.

You can replace lost fluids by drinking bland liquids that are easy on the digestive system, such as water, soda water and isotonic drinks.

But there are some more “secret” hangover cures out there, with our twitter followers (@shanabarry) coming up with a jar of pickles and (@OakRidgeWinery) eating only apples for 4 to 7 days – “they say it’s a cleanse not diet…”

The best cure for a hangover is alcohol in moderation, but if you over do it over Christmas and New Year, these 10 “cures” may help function a little better the next day.

9 Responses to “Top 10 hangover cures”

1. mike sauer says:

I have been seeing “The Hangover” Recovery Shot all over Las Vegas and i purchased one of these because it had the guys from the hangover movie on the bottle when i was in Vegas a few months back on business. The stuff to my suprized worked like a charm, I felt totally normal in about an hour and i was totally hungover from a crazy night drinking with business partners. I have now been buying it at 7-11 stores here in Seattle.. It’s called Hangover Joe’s and I love the stuff. I suggest trying it out. It’s all natural and loaded with tons of antioxidants.

2. Robin Lane says:

Sir

The only thing that works is sleep.

Robin Lane

3. The Paracetamol based product called ‘Resolve’ has always been my best solution for a hangover. However after visiting three different chemists today in the UK, I am told that it has been withdrawn from the market or out of production. Does anyone know where it is still available?

• David Farmer says:

Like the poster above I found this product absolutely stonking.

Like him tho I can’t get it now.

Any pointers or clues?

4. Gerry Stefanko says:

HPF Hangover Prevention Formula has been clinically proven to PREVENT hangovers when taken before drinking.
    Get it at hangoverprevention.com.

5. soberac says:

#SOBERAC is the leading alcohol metaboliser from Cape flora.It helps reduce acute alcohol effects,related incidents & unrully behaviour.It provides the “proton power” to increase alcohol metabolism in the liver cell as well as neutralise the free radicals that cause the acute alcohol effects,converting them to inert acetic acid.

6. Judy Webster says:

There is a new product that I use to process my wines and spirits and I don’t get a hangover or any side effects. Go to mydrinkmachine.com to see information about controlled experiments with premium vodka and gin.

7. julien says:

Dozen Oysters and a Bloody Marie

8. lor says:

very similar to what the nhs page says. hmmm